Physics text book for electric motor

In summary, the conversation is about a report on the mechanics of an electric generator and the need for references. Three recommended textbooks are "Power Electronics and Motor Drives" by Bimal K. Bose, "Modeling and High Performance Control of Electric Machines" by John Chiasson, and "Electric Machinery" by A. Fitzgerald, C. Kingsley, and S. Umans. The conversation ends with the hope that these texts will be helpful.
tinybang
For my assignment I have to write a report on the mechanics of an electric generator. I need to reference for physics textbooks. Anyone able to recommend some texts books that may be able to help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You say your topic is "mechanics of an electric generator." Do you mean the mechanical aspects such as centrifugal loads on the windings, possibilities for rotor whirl, windage, etc., or did you mean the electromechanical process of torque development, winding distributions, torque ripple, etc, or perhaps something else altogether

Hello, you are not so advanced these references for your report :.

- Power Electronics And Motor Drives: Advances and Trends Bimal K. Bose
- Modeling and High Performance Control of Electric Machines John Chiasson
- Electric Machinery A Fitzgerald, Arthur Eugene Fitzgerald, Charles Kingsley, Stephen Umans

These texts whose main theme is the electric motor. I hope you are quite helpful. Greetings.

1. What is an electric motor?

An electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy, causing motion in a machine or system. It typically consists of a rotor, stator, and electrically conductive coils.

2. How does an electric motor work?

An electric motor works by using the interaction between a magnetic field and an electric current to produce force. When an electric current is passed through the coils of the motor, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets on the rotor, causing it to spin.

3. What are the different types of electric motors?

There are several types of electric motors, including DC motors, AC motors, and synchronous motors. DC motors use direct current to power the motor, while AC motors use alternating current. Synchronous motors use a magnetic field to maintain a constant speed.

4. What are the main applications of electric motors?

Electric motors have a wide range of applications, including in household appliances, vehicles, industrial machinery, and renewable energy systems such as wind turbines. They are also essential components in many everyday devices, such as fans, blenders, and power tools.

5. What should I look for in a physics textbook for electric motor?

When choosing a physics textbook for electric motors, look for one that covers the fundamental principles of electricity and magnetism, as well as the specific principles and equations related to electric motors. It should also include practical examples and exercises to help apply the concepts and deepen understanding.