Physics textbook recommendation?

In summary, the speaker is finishing their first semester in university and is looking for a good physics textbook to help them at home. They mention that they are starting to see integrals and will need the book for their second semester. They ask for recommendations on textbooks and mention that they cannot buy uncommon books where they live. The conversation then shifts to discussing specific textbooks and the importance of having a strong foundation in math before using certain textbooks. The speaker also mentions taking a physics course next semester but not having a textbook provided. They express a desire to have their own textbook to not depend on library availability. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of having a strong foundation in math and the availability of textbooks.
David04161997
I'm finishing my first semester in my university and I'm going to need a good physics textbook to help me out at home. I'm starting to see integrals so I guess I can defend myself a little math wise, by the time I start my second semester (that's when I'll really need the book) I'm going to know a little bit more, sooo, what physics textbook do you guys recommend? My profesor recommended me that tippens book but I thinck it's no going to be enough for what I'm going to have to learn. What do you guys think about Zemanskys, Halliday and Resnick, and Klepper (the books obviously). I can't really by any really uncommon books since they are almost imposible to buy here where I live.

Physics news on Phys.org
David04161997 said:
I'm going to need a good physics textbook to help me out at home.

This depends a lot on what you want to get stronger in. If you want to get ahead for the second semester, I would recommend checking out the planned course literature for the courses you are going to take and read ahead.

David04161997 said:
I can't really by any really uncommon books since they are almost imposible to buy here where I live.

Now, I do not know where you live, but many online bookstores will deliver by post.

Kleppner is really good!
You need to specify some topics! It will be easier to suggest then!

shre said:
Kleppner is really good!
You need to specify some topics! It will be easier to suggest then!
I need a little bit of everything. I'm hoping I can use the books as a guide while I'm studying.

Orodruin said:
This depends a lot on what you want to get stronger in. If you want to get ahead for the second semester, I would recommend checking out the planned course literature for the courses you are going to take and read ahead.

I'm going to talk to some profesor and ask them what books are worth buying. Thanks man!

Kleppner is a good book. However if you have not seen integration (by parts, u sub, partial fraction, trig substitution), polar coordinates, or other material covered in a course calculus 2 in America. Then the book will be out of your understanding. Resnick, Giancoli, and Serway can be found cheap and introduce people to physics. However, they are not rigorous by any means. So a book such as Kleppner should be used after to get a stronger foundation.

Are you going to take a physics course next semester? What's wrong with the textbook assigned to it?

There are some free textbooks for intro physics available online. Have you checked into those?

vela said:
Are you going to take a physics course next semester? What's wrong with the textbook assigned to it?

There are some free textbooks for intro physics available online. Have you checked into those?

Yes I am, I'm taking Fundamental Physics I, but we don't get any textbooks, although they do recommend us books to check in the library. I wanted to have a book that I could have so I don't have to depend on the availability of the books in the library.

MidgetDwarf said:
Kleppner is a good book. However if you have not seen integration (by parts, u sub, partial fraction, trig substitution), polar coordinates, or other material covered in a course calculus 2 in America. Then the book will be out of your understanding. Resnick, Giancoli, and Serway can be found cheap and introduce people to physics. However, they are not rigorous by any means. So a book such as Kleppner should be used after to get a stronger foundation.

Well, I'm taking calculus 2 in two months so I guess I should wait a little until I have a stronger foundation in math.

Wait till after calculus 2

1. What is the best physics textbook for beginner students?

The best physics textbook for beginner students depends on the specific needs and goals of the student. Some popular options include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli. It is recommended to read reviews and consult with instructors to determine the best fit.

2. Is there a specific physics textbook that covers all topics comprehensively?

It is difficult for one textbook to cover all topics comprehensively as the field of physics is vast. However, some textbooks such as "University Physics" by Young and Freedman and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli cover a wide range of topics and are considered comprehensive by many.

3. Are there any online resources for physics textbooks?

Yes, there are many online resources for physics textbooks. Some popular options include OpenStax, which offers free online textbooks, and websites such as Chegg and Amazon where you can purchase or rent digital versions of textbooks.

4. Are there any physics textbooks specifically for high school students?

Yes, there are textbooks designed specifically for high school students, such as "Conceptual Physics" by Hewitt and "Physics: Principles and Problems" by Zitzewitz. These textbooks often use simpler language and focus on real-world applications to make the concepts more accessible to high school students.

5. Are there any physics textbooks with interactive features?

Yes, there are textbooks with interactive features, such as "College Physics" by Knight, which includes online resources and interactive simulations. Some textbooks also have accompanying online platforms, such as MasteringPhysics for "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, which offer interactive features for students to practice and learn the material.