1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics textbook recommendation?

1. May 5, 2015 #1
    I'm finishing my first semester in my university and I'm going to need a good physics text book to help me out at home. I'm starting to see integrals so I guess I can defend myself a little math wise, by the time I start my second semester (that's when I'll really need the book) I'm gonna know a little bit more, sooo, what physics textbook do you guys recommend? My profesor recommended me that tippens book but I thinck it's no gonna be enough for what i'm going to have to learn. What do you guys think about Zemanskys, Halliday and Resnick, and Klepper (the books obviously). I can't really by any really uncommon books since they are almost imposible to buy here where I live.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This depends a lot on what you want to get stronger in. If you want to get ahead for the second semester, I would recommend checking out the planned course literature for the courses you are going to take and read ahead.

Now, I do not know where you live, but many online bookstores will deliver by post.

4. May 6, 2015 #3
    Kleppner is really good!
    You need to specify some topics! It will be easier to suggest then!

5. May 9, 2015 #4
    I need a little bit of everything. I'm hoping I can use the books as a guide while I'm studying.

6. May 9, 2015 #5
    I'm going to talk to some profesor and ask them what books are worth buying. Thanks man!

7. May 9, 2015 #6
    Kleppner is a good book. However if you have not seen integration (by parts, u sub, partial fraction, trig substitution), polar coordinates, or other material covered in a course calculus 2 in America. Then the book will be out of your understanding. Resnick, Giancoli, and Serway can be found cheap and introduce people to physics. However, they are not rigorous by any means. So a book such as Kleppner should be used after to get a stronger foundation.

8. May 9, 2015 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you going to take a physics course next semester? What's wrong with the textbook assigned to it?

There are some free textbooks for intro physics available online. Have you checked into those?

9. May 21, 2015 #8
    Yes I am, I'm taking Fundamental Physics I, but we don't get any text books, although they do recommend us books to check in the library. I wanted to have a book that I coud have so I don't have to depend on the availability of the books in the library.

10. May 21, 2015 #9
    Well, I'm taking calculus 2 in two months so I guess I should wait a little until I have a stronger foundation in math.

11. May 21, 2015 #10
    Wait till after calculus 2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted