1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics undergrad degree (→theoretical high energy physics) in the US?

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    I am currently a high school student (in my final year) in South Africa. I am passionate about physics, and can frankly see myself following no other career path. Ultimately it is my goal to become a theoretical high energy physicist. (And then unify quantum mechanics with general relativity. And then win the Nobel prize. Hey, a guy can dream, right?)

At any rate, I suspect that my infinitisimal chances of achieving the above goals might be improved somewhat if I managed to get into a world-class university. I have heard that the actual coursework is similar at most institutions, but I am also looking for stimulation from professors and peers as well as prestige, opportunities etc.

I understand that admissions at US universities are extremelly competitive (especially for international students), so essentially I need to know if (a) I have any hope of getting in and (b) if so, which universities I should apply for. I'm aiming for MIT/Caltech/Harvard/ Princeton if at all possible. (Hey, a guy can dream, right?)

So, here's my CV: (Not sure how relevant everything is; I hear prospective universities look at personality and extracurriculars as well.)

My average marks are as follows:
    Physics, Mathematics, Biology, Accounting: High 90's, the occasional 100.
    Geography, English and Afrikaans (a South African language): High 80's, the occasional 90.
    From what I understand of the American grading system, I have a 4.0 GPA. (I think.)

I participated in the National Physics Olympiad this year. The results have not yet been released, but based on past results and an internet search of all the answers, I believe I stand a good chance of winning it.

I started school at the age of 5 (In SA the required age at the time was 7) and will thus matriculate at the age of 16.

I was selected last year to participate in an SA TV gameshow (not as a contestant, more of an obstacle to contestants) for 1 season based on both academics and personality.

I take part in the National Mathematics Olympiad every year. 4 years ago I was placed in the national top 100. Last year I was placed in the regional team. This year I hope to do better.

I am Deputy-Head Boy of my school, and have won the annual Public speaking competion 3 times. Further extracurriculars include the chess and debate teams.

I think that's it, other than to add that English is my first language, but that finances are going to be a problem (and the exchange rate doesn't help either). MIT will waive course fees (family income < $75 000p.a.) if I get in (not sure about the others). I'll still need bursaries, though...

Anyway, please, oh Good Samaritans of the Physics Forums community, advise me!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted