Physics with Astrophysics or Just Physics (BSc)

In summary, the speaker wants to know if having a degree in Physics or a degree in Physics with Astrophysics would be more beneficial for job opportunities. They also mention wanting to pursue a career in an astro-related field and having a variety of options in both physics-related and unrelated fields. The speaker also shares their personal experience of completing a physics degree without an astrophysics option and being accepted for a masters in astronomy and astrophysics. They are unsure if they should inform and change their degree or keep it as is.
don_a
Hi,

I just want to know if it would be better job wise to have a degree in "Physics", or a "degree in Physics with Astrophysics" given;

1) I want to follow an astro related field?

2) I want to have number of options (physics related and/or unrelated eg banking)?

..and then an opinon on overall which you think is better?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
don_a said:
I just want to know if it would be better job wise to have a degree in "Physics", or a "degree in Physics with Astrophysics" given;

I don't think it matters. There are a lot of people (like me) who did a physics undergraduate because the school didn't offer an astrophysics option at the time.

Ok, well my situation is that my university just awarded me a degree in physics, when I actually completed physics with astrophysics...so I am not sure if i should inform and change or just keep this?...and I have also already been accepted for a masters in astronomy and astrophysics so I am not sure how much this will matter either :S

1. What is the difference between Physics with Astrophysics and Just Physics?

Physics with Astrophysics is a specialized program that focuses on the study of the physical laws and principles that govern the behavior of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole. Just Physics, on the other hand, is a general physics program that covers a broader range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. Can I switch between Physics with Astrophysics and Just Physics during my studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the two programs during your studies. However, this will depend on the specific requirements and policies of the university you are attending. It is recommended to consult with your academic advisor before making any changes to your program.

3. What are the career options for graduates of Physics with Astrophysics or Just Physics?

Both Physics with Astrophysics and Just Physics programs provide a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, making graduates well-equipped for a variety of career paths. Some common career options include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, teacher, and science writer. Graduates can also pursue further studies in fields such as astrophysics, astronomy, or engineering.

4. Are there any specific skills or background knowledge required for these programs?

While there are no specific prerequisites for Physics with Astrophysics or Just Physics programs, it is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics and physics. This will ensure a smoother transition into the program and help students understand more advanced concepts. Additionally, having a passion for science and a curious mind are valuable traits for success in these programs.

5. What kind of research opportunities are available for students in these programs?

Both Physics with Astrophysics and Just Physics programs offer research opportunities for students to gain hands-on experience in the field. These can range from working with faculty on ongoing projects to conducting independent research projects. Students can also participate in internships or co-op programs to gain practical experience in their chosen field of study.