PhysicsQ/ Adding vectors-equilateral triangle

• Thread starter Ba.Ala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary: You can use trigonometry to find the horizontal and vertical components of a vector. For example, if a vector has a magnitude of 10 and makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal, its horizontal component would be 10*cos(30) = 8.66 and its vertical component would be 10*sin(30) = 5.00. You can apply this to each vector in the triangle to find the horizontal and vertical components of the net force acting on the 400 mC charge. Then, you can use vector addition to find the algebraic signs and magnitude of the charges qA and qB.
Ba.Ala
Please help me with this question, I am a complete physics newbie who is lost…
Alright.
The Question states:

The drawing shows an equilateral triangle, each side of which has a length of 2.00 cm. Point charges are fixed at each corner, as shown. The 400 mC charge experiences a net force due to the charge q A and qB. This net force points vertically downward in the drawing and has a magnitude of 405 N. Determine the magnitude and algebraic sighs of the charges qA and qB.

This is what I did:

(1) I know that centimeters are supposed to be converted to meters
2.00*10-6
(2) Two vectors A & B are added together to produce a third vector C = A + B .
(3) When the triangle formed is not a right triangle:
the magnitude of the vector sum can be found by using the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines

meaning:

4.00*10-6
-----------------------

so now I am lost
HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ba.Ala said:
2.00*10-6

the magnitude of the vector sum can be found by using the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines

meaning:

4.00*10-6
-----------------------

so now I am lost
HELP!
Welcome to PF.

First off: 1 cm = .01 m

I can't see your picture. But you are right the basic idea for field values is vector addition.

The rest of it ... I can see no drawing. I'm not exactly sure what you are doing math wise.

Ba.Ala said:
Please help me with this question, I am a complete physics newbie who is lost…
Alright.
The Question states:

The drawing shows an equilateral triangle, each side of which has a length of 2.00 cm. Point charges are fixed at each corner, as shown. The 400 mC charge experiences a net force due to the charge q A and qB. This net force points vertically downward in the drawing and has a magnitude of 405 N. Determine the magnitude and algebraic sighs of the charges qA and qB.

This is what I did:

2.00*10-6

meaning:

4.00*10-6
-----------------------

so now I am lost
HELP!
Welcome to PF,

Firstly, [itex]2cm = 2\times10^{-2}m[/itex] and not [itex]2\times10^{-6}m[/itex]. Secondly, have you tried splitting the vectors into horizontal and vertical components? Since the net force acts downwards, you know that the horizontal components must sum to zero.

thank you
alright this is where my problem is
if: A B C
----= ----- = ---
sine(θA) Sine (θB) Sine(θC)

this is an equliateral triangle meaning:
2*10^-2 2*10^-2 2*10^-2
---------= ----------- -----------
1 1 1

there is no answere
and that is why I am stuck,.

Ba.Ala said:
thank you
alright this is where my problem is
if: A B C
----= ----- = ---
sine(θA) Sine (θB) Sine(θC)

this is an equliateral triangle meaning:
2*10^-2 2*10^-2 2*10^-2
---------= ----------- -----------
1 1 1

there is no answere
and that is why I am stuck,.
There is no need to resort to the laws of sines or cosines. As I said previously, try splitting each force vector into two components, one vertical and one horizontal.

how would I do that?
could you please elaborate..

Related to PhysicsQ/ Adding vectors-equilateral triangle

1. How do you add vectors in an equilateral triangle?

In order to add vectors in an equilateral triangle, you must first determine the direction and magnitude of each vector. Then, using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions, you can find the resultant vector by adding the components of each vector together.

2. What is the formula for finding the resultant vector in an equilateral triangle?

The formula for finding the resultant vector in an equilateral triangle is R = √ (A2 + B2 + 2ABcosθ), where A and B are the magnitudes of the vectors and θ is the angle between them.

3. Can you add more than two vectors in an equilateral triangle?

Yes, you can add more than two vectors in an equilateral triangle. The same principle applies, where you must first determine the direction and magnitude of each vector, and then use the formula to find the resultant vector by adding the components together.

4. What is the significance of an equilateral triangle in vector addition?

An equilateral triangle is significant in vector addition because it represents a balanced and symmetrical system. This means that the resultant vector will have the same magnitude and direction, regardless of the order in which the vectors are added.

5. Can vector addition be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, vector addition is commonly used in real-life situations, such as in navigation systems, physics calculations, and engineering designs. It is a fundamental concept in understanding and analyzing the physical world around us.