PI controller (feed back control) for boost converter

In summary, the conversation is about putting together a PI controller for a boost converter with specific parameters such as Vin, Vout, and switching frequency. The individual is attaching a schematic in PSPICE and asking for confirmation on the connections. They also ask for guidance on adjusting the KI and KP values and the voltage on the integral gain constant. The conversation also briefly mentions setting the VCONTROL and VPULSE parameters.
Naeem
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to put together a PI controller for a boost converter.

Vin = 150V
Vout = 300V (Require this much boost)

Switching Frequency = 25KHz

I am attaching a schematic in PSPICE. Please , someone, tell me if the connections are right. Also V-PULSE / SAWTOOTH = (0 - 10V) . Original Design for : Duty Cycle 50 % . How do I adjust the KI and the KP ? Any rule of thumb for this.

TR = 39.9us
TF = 0.01us
PW = 20u
PER = 40u
All other parameters in V-PULSE SET TO ZERO.

Attachments

• PI - CONTROLLER FOR BOOST CONVERTER.PNG
    PI - CONTROLLER FOR BOOST CONVERTER.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,368
Engineering news on Phys.org
Naeem said:
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to put together a PI controller for a boost converter.

Vin = 150V
Vout = 300V (Require this much boost)

Switching Frequency = 25KHz

I am attaching a schematic in PSPICE. Please , someone, tell me if the connections are right. Also V-PULSE / SAWTOOTH = (0 - 10V) . Original Design for : Duty Cycle 50 % . How do I adjust the KI and the KP ? Any rule of thumb for this.

TR = 39.9us
TF = 0.01us
PW = 20u
PER = 40u
All other parameters in V-PULSE SET TO ZERO.

Sorry, I'm not seeing the feedback path. Is this running open loop under the influence of VCONTROL?

No, it is a closed loop system. I think the negative of the VCONTROL should go to the output of the VCAP. That should provide a feedback path. Assuming that is done. How do I adjust the gains ?

Also, how do I adjust the voltage on the Integral gain constant ? How much should VCONTROL be ? should it be set to 300V, and the settings on VPULSE , Are those OK ?

1. What is a PI controller and how does it work in a boost converter?

A PI controller, also known as a proportional-integral controller, is a type of feedback control system commonly used in boost converters to regulate the output voltage. It works by continuously comparing the desired output voltage with the actual output voltage and adjusting the duty cycle of the converter based on the error signal. The controller calculates the proportional and integral terms, which determine the amount and speed of correction needed to minimize the error and maintain a stable output voltage.

2. How is the PI controller tuned for a boost converter?

The PI controller's performance is highly dependent on its tuning parameters, which must be carefully selected to achieve the desired response. The proportional and integral gains can be adjusted to optimize the controller's response to changes in the load and input voltage. Typically, the gains are adjusted through trial and error or using simulation tools to achieve stable and fast response with minimal overshoot and steady-state error.

3. What are the advantages of using a PI controller in a boost converter?

Compared to other control techniques, a PI controller offers several advantages in a boost converter. It provides fast and accurate response to changes in the input and load conditions, ensures stability and robustness, and can be easily implemented using analog or digital circuits. Additionally, the PI controller can be easily tuned for different operating conditions, making it a versatile solution for boost converter control.

4. Can a PI controller be used for other types of power converters?

Yes, a PI controller can be used in other types of power converters, including buck, buck-boost, and flyback converters. However, the controller's performance may vary based on the converter's topology, operating conditions, and load characteristics. Therefore, the PI controller must be carefully designed and tuned to ensure optimal performance in different applications.

5. How does a PI controller improve the efficiency of a boost converter?

The PI controller plays a crucial role in regulating the output voltage of a boost converter, which in turn affects the converter's efficiency. By continuously adjusting the duty cycle to maintain a stable output voltage, the controller ensures that the converter operates at its maximum power point, where the efficiency is highest. This results in improved overall efficiency and better utilization of the converter's components.