Pigeon Hole Problem Involving Matching Basketball Teams?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a triangle-free graph in the context of ten basketball teams. The goal is to determine the largest integer n for which a set S of teams exists such that for any group of three teams, at least two teams have not played each other. Research suggests that the upper bound on n is lower than 10, but proving it is challenging. The pigeonhole principle may be applicable, but its application is not immediately clear.
bigi247
Suppose we have ten basketball teams, for any group of three teams we know at least two teams have not played each other. Let S be the largest set of teams such that none have played each other. Provide, with proof, the largest integer n satisfying |S| ≥ n.

Can't choose a particular matching of basketball teams. We have to determine the lower bound 'n' for ALL possible matchings that satisfies: Picking any three teams, at least two teams have not played each other.

We do not know the matching so saying 'assume none have played each other - then we obtain n=10' would not be correct

I'm really not sure what the question is asking for. Obviously there are 10C3 = 120 Different groupings of which 80 or more groups play no games. I really don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
What we are looking at is a triangle-free graph. A little research will help you somewhat, although proofs are tricky in this field. Certainly I can get a much lower upper bound on n than 10, but proving it is a requirement on |S| is not easy.

I'm trying to think how the pigeonhole principle comes in here but I can't see it.

1. What is the pigeon hole problem involving matching basketball teams?

The pigeon hole problem involving matching basketball teams is a mathematical problem that deals with finding a match for each team in a set of teams. The problem arises when the number of teams is not equal to the number of available matches, resulting in at least one team being left without a match.

2. How is the pigeon hole problem related to basketball teams?

The pigeon hole problem is related to basketball teams because it can occur when creating a schedule for a basketball league or tournament. If the number of teams does not evenly divide into the number of available matches, there will be leftover teams that do not have a match.

3. What is the solution to the pigeon hole problem in basketball?

The solution to the pigeon hole problem in basketball is to either add or remove teams to make the numbers evenly match. Alternatively, teams can be assigned to play against each other more than once, but this may not be ideal for competitive reasons.

4. Can the pigeon hole problem be solved for any number of teams and matches?

Yes, the pigeon hole problem can be solved for any number of teams and matches as long as the number of teams is not greater than the number of available matches. However, the solution may not always be ideal, as mentioned before, and may require some flexibility or compromise.

5. How can the pigeon hole problem be avoided in basketball?

The pigeon hole problem can be avoided in basketball by carefully planning and organizing the number of teams and matches to make sure they are evenly matched. This may involve adjusting the number of teams, matches, or both, to avoid any leftover teams without a match.