Pinhole Camera Question: Calculating Distance for 1-Inch Image of a 20 Ft Tree

• Thread starter rdiprimio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, the distance from the pinhole to the film is needed to determine the distance one would have to stand from a 20 ft tree to create a 1 inch long image in a pinhole camera. The size of the hole also plays a role in the sharpness and brightness of the image. Using similar triangles, one can solve for the distance needed.
rdiprimio
How far would you have to stand from 20 ft tree so the image in a pinhole camera is 1 inch long? I feel like the teacher left out a piece of information...please help I am stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
rdiprimio said:
How far would you have to stand from 20 ft tree so the image in a pinhole camera is 1 inch long? I feel like the teacher left out a piece of information...please help I am stumped.

I am stumped as well.The length of the camera is needed.

Yes, you're missing information. You need the distance from the pinhole to the film. However, you can make a simple formula and just call this distance "x". Draw two rays. One going through the pinhole and hitting the middle of your film, and another one, comming off of the top of your object and hitting the bottom of your film.

I remember asking my physics teacher this question (it wasn't a physics problem for class, just a personal question) and i remember him saying by way of similar triangles that both a) the size of the opening is irrelevant (expected) and b) the length from the hole to the film is irrelevant (blew my mind, still don't know how that works). Try messing with trig functions and creating triangles is my advise!

mg0stisha said:
I remember asking my physics teacher this question (it wasn't a physics problem for class, just a personal question) and i remember him saying by way of similar triangles that both a) the size of the opening is irrelevant (expected) and b) the length from the hole to the film is irrelevant (blew my mind, still don't know how that works). Try messing with trig functions and creating triangles is my advise!

You do need the distance from the hole to the film.The greater the distance the bigger the image.The size of the hole has some relevance as well...ignoring diffraction a small hole gives a sharp dim image and a large hole gives a blurred bright image.It is true that you can use similar triangles to solve the problem.

I probably just remembered wrong then, it makes complete sense that the distance from hole-to-film would matter. I did figure out how to solve this by way of similar triangles, not that this helps the thread starter in any way!

1. What is a pinhole camera?

A pinhole camera is a simple optical device that uses a small hole (or aperture) to create an inverted image of an external scene on a light-sensitive surface inside the camera. It does not have a lens like traditional cameras, but instead relies on the principles of light diffraction to form an image.

2. How does a pinhole camera work?

A pinhole camera works by allowing light from the external scene to pass through a small hole and project an inverted image onto a surface inside the camera. The smaller the hole, the sharper the image will be. The image is formed due to the diffraction of light as it passes through the hole and spreads out to form an image on the opposite side of the hole.

3. What are the advantages of using a pinhole camera?

One of the main advantages of using a pinhole camera is its simplicity. It can be easily made using basic materials and does not require any complex optics. Additionally, the image produced by a pinhole camera has a unique aesthetic quality due to its soft focus and vignetting effect. Pinhole cameras are also lightweight and portable, making them ideal for travel or outdoor photography.

4. How can I make my own pinhole camera?

Making a pinhole camera is a fun and simple DIY project. All you need is a light-tight box, a piece of aluminum foil or thin metal, a small needle, and some light-sensitive paper. Cut a small hole in one side of the box and tape the aluminum foil over it. Use the needle to poke a tiny hole in the foil. Place the light-sensitive paper on the opposite side and your pinhole camera is ready to use!

5. Can I use a pinhole camera for professional photography?

While pinhole cameras can produce unique and artistic images, they are not typically used for professional photography due to their limitations in terms of image quality and control. Pinhole cameras have a fixed aperture and focal length, making it difficult to achieve precise focus or control over depth of field. However, they can be a fun and creative tool for experimental photography and can produce stunning results in the hands of a skilled photographer.