1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipe Flow: Neglecting Pipe Length

1. Mar 24, 2013 #1
    In the diagram attached I have a pipe (standard concrete) that is going from point A (Entrance) to point B (Exit). Standard water is the fluid within the pipe. Point A (entrance) has a constant uninterrupted supply of water at a velocity of 0.7m/s, how do I find the correct velocity at point B (Exit), given that the distance is between point A and Point B is very long? This problem is going around in my head for quite some time now. I have used Bernoulli’s equation to solve for V at point B but I am concerned about the length of the pipe and that neglecting it may be over simplifying the problem. Could it not reduce the velocity over a long distance?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes it could. Any fluid with finite viscosity moving past any kind of rough surface would generate heat and thus dissipate some of the kinetic energy of the fluid.

This subject is not typically covered in an introductory course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted