Pipe protuberance's effect on flow

• Thread starter Mangoes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Pipe
In summary: I see. So, for laminar flow, neglecting the protuberances' effect would lead to an underestimation of the friction factor? Yes, that's right.
Mangoes
Hi,

I've been reading over Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot and I've been going over the friction factor ##f##. I've gone through the whole development leading to the observation that, for time-averaged turbulent flow, when we neglect entry effects, ##f = f(Re; k/D)##, where ##k## is the (average?) height of pipe protuberances for rough pipes.

I'm assuming that the reason why rough pipes introduce additional losses is because of the introduction of some minor form drag along the pipe wall whereas smooth pipes only have frictional drag. I'm not really understanding why this doesn't seem to be an issue for laminar flow though. Why is pipe roughness seemingly not a factor in frictional losses for laminar flow? The Moody diagram only has one curve for the laminar region corresponding to the Hagen-Poiseuille equation.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In case of turbulent flow and when you have rough pipeline (big sized protuberances), the collisions between the molecules of the fluid and the molecules of the piping material are more (in number) and more violent than in laminar flow (low velocity). In addition, as we increase the Reynolds number (turbulent flow) the molecules of inner layers can collide with the pipe protuberances. The number of collisions depends on the velocity, density, viscosity, diameter of tube (Reynolds number) and on the size of the protuberances comparing to the diameter of the tube (k/D).

When the collisions are more, the loss in the kinetic energy will be more, because the collisions are not completely elastic.

DoItForYourself said:
In case of turbulent flow and when you have rough pipeline (big sized protuberances), the collisions between the molecules of the fluid and the molecules of the piping material are more (in number) and more violent than in laminar flow (low velocity). In addition, as we increase the Reynolds number (turbulent flow) the molecules of inner layers can collide with the pipe protuberances. The number of collisions depends on the velocity, density, viscosity, diameter of tube (Reynolds number) and on the size of the protuberances comparing to the diameter of the tube (k/D).

When the collisions are more, the loss in the kinetic energy will be more, because the collisions are not completely elastic.

That makes sense, thank you. I'm guessing then that since only a relatively minor fraction of fluid molecules are impacted by protuberances and their impacts are at lower velocity, the effects are negligible for laminar flow.

Yes, and thus f depends only on Reynolds number in laminar flow. In turbulent flow you need also the protuberances' effect on f.

1. How does pipe protuberance affect flow?

Pipe protuberance can cause disruption and turbulence in the flow, leading to changes in pressure and flow velocity. This can result in increased head loss and decreased flow rate.

2. What is the impact of pipe protuberance on flow efficiency?

The presence of pipe protuberance can reduce flow efficiency by creating eddies and vortices that disrupt the flow and cause energy losses. This can result in a decrease in the overall efficiency of the system.

3. Can pipe protuberance cause flow separation?

Yes, pipe protuberance can cause flow separation, which is when the flow separates from the surface of the pipe and creates a recirculation zone. This can lead to a decrease in flow rate and an increase in pressure drop.

4. How can pipe protuberance be minimized?

Pipe protuberance can be minimized by using smooth and streamlined pipes, maintaining a consistent pipe diameter, and avoiding obstructions and irregularities in the pipe surface. Proper design and installation can also help reduce the effects of pipe protuberance on flow.

5. What are the potential consequences of ignoring pipe protuberance?

Ignoring pipe protuberance can result in decreased flow efficiency, increased energy consumption, and potential damage to the system due to increased pressure and turbulence. It can also lead to inaccurate flow measurements and affect the overall performance of the system.