Piston diameter size, fricition, mathematical proof

In summary, the larger the diameter of a piston, the greater the area it will have from which to dissipate heat, which will result in a better seal between the piston crown and the mating surface inside the piston walls.
gloo
I have already asked the question of piston diameter size and efficiency in an earlier thread but i'll recap.

My question was that is it true that the larger diameter piston have a larger propensity to overcome the mechanical loss of fricition due to the piston rings contact with the mating surface inside the piston walls.

The resounding response was yes, but I wanted to clarify 2 factors:

1. Would it matter if the the rings were lubricated by water instead of oil?

2. Would it be correct to express it in a mathematical type proof by using this method:

Circumference formula : pi * 2*radius

Area formula : pi * radius *radius

if we cancel out the constant pi from each equation , we have

circumference forumla : 2 * radius

Area forumla : radius * radius

Thus, for any radius, we can see that the larger the radius, the area formula will have a factor of radius squared, while the circumference formula will only be radius times 2.

Is this a mathematical type of expression we can make to show why larger pistons will be more likely to overcome piston ring friction? The fact that larger radius will have result in a larger area factor relative to the circumference of the piston?

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You're nearly there.

The parameter commonly used is volume to surface area ratio. The main source of loss in a combustion chamber isn't due to piston ring friction (which you're correct in saying is a function of circumference) but due to heat loss (which is a function of surface area, both of the piston crown which transfers heat from the combustion gas, of the piston skirts which dissipate heat to the liner and coolant, and of the undercrosn which dissipates heat to the lube oil). Then (and only then!) do you consider ring friction.

I don't know what you mean about using water instead of oil. Theoretically yes, but practically water is hopeless at lubricating, sealing and cleaning engine components.

My device is not really a piston with gas combustion as much as it is a hydrualic (water) as the main substance being sealed. The device basically works in this manner:

A chamber has an outside water seal and a seal inside. Both these seals are used to seal the passage of water and they are dynamic in nature (like a piston ring). Basically i want the chamber to be moved by water pressure from the water surrounding the chamber. The chamber will move back and forth at low speed past the water seals. The pressure driving the chamber is between 500 to 1000 Kpa. The water seal outside prevents water from passing through between itself and a certain point on the outside of the chamber wall. The water seal inside prevents water from passing between itself and the inside chamber walls.

I figured that a larger chamber with a larger area exposure to the water pressure, even though the circumference of the o ring is also larger, would be more likely to have a tendency to move better b/c proportionately, the larger surface area more than compensates for the larger diameter (o ring friction). Thus for every larger radius chamber, the pressure pushing on the larger surface area of the bottom of the chamber, is proportionately greater than for that of a smaller radius chamber and smaller circumference o ring. Would the math example i used be correct in this scenario then?

thanks

Yes. As bore diameter increases, your piston area (upon which your fluid acts) increases as a square; the seal contact area increases linearly.

brewnog said:
Yes. As bore diameter increases, your piston area (upon which your fluid acts) increases as a square; the seal contact area increases linearly.

Thanks a lot for your help :)

1. What is the significance of piston diameter size in an engine?

The piston diameter size directly affects the volume of air and fuel that can be compressed and ignited in the engine. A larger piston diameter means a larger combustion chamber, resulting in more power and torque.

2. How does friction play a role in the performance of an engine's pistons?

Friction between the piston and cylinder walls can cause energy loss and reduce the efficiency of the engine. Therefore, it is important to minimize friction through proper lubrication and using materials with low friction coefficients.

3. Can mathematical proof be used to determine the optimal piston diameter size?

Yes, mathematical models and equations can be used to calculate the ideal piston diameter size for a given engine design and desired performance. These calculations take into account factors such as air-fuel ratio, compression ratio, and engine speed.

4. How does piston diameter size affect the engine's fuel efficiency?

A larger piston diameter typically results in higher fuel consumption, as more air and fuel are needed to fill the larger combustion chamber. However, a properly sized piston can also improve fuel efficiency by allowing for more efficient combustion and reducing energy loss due to friction.

5. Are there any drawbacks to increasing the piston diameter size?

While a larger piston can increase power and torque, it can also add weight and increase the size of the engine. This can impact the overall performance and handling of the vehicle. Additionally, a larger piston may require more maintenance and have a shorter lifespan due to increased stress on the engine components.