Organic Chemistry Lab Questions: pKa of p-Chlorophenol

In summary: Basically, it measures the amount of light that is absorbed by a molecule of solute per unit of solvent.
KKAK
Hi all
I am doing this lab in my organic course right now, and I have a few questions. The phenol I am working on is pKa of p-chlorophenol.
I obtained a UV spectrum of phenol in acid, phenol in base, phenol in buffer with higher pH and phenol in buffer with lower pH.

1)In the UV spectrum, there is a isosbestic or crossover point by the 4 solutions used above, would changing of the pH and concentration alter this point ?

2)On my UV spectrum the absorbances of phenol and phenolate is different, is it because one of them are conjugate acid and other is conjugate base?

3)Finally a stupid question, Why is not right to wash the glassware with acetone ? I know it is a very strong and reactive solvent than phenol, but what properties makes it so ?

I am sorry if these question are stupid, but my prof didn't went over any of these stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello

Let me try to answer your questions in a brief basis.
  1. I didn't recall what isosbestic point is. If

Isosbestic point is a point on the UV spectrum where all speectrum intersects.

By the way , I think you are trying to post a link ? it didn't show up.

Thank you.

This message is not supposed to be like this, I inadvertently pushed the submit button, I think.
  1. The isosbestic point should be the signal belonging to the [itex]\displaystyle \pi[/itex] system which does not essentially change. I don't think that a serious shift will be observed.
  2. Are you sure you've prepared your solutions with exactly same concentration? It is directly proportional to the absorbance maxima obtained.
  3. Acetone is UV-active chemical, so if it is let to dry inside the cell, some traces may be present in the second analysis, and will cause a serious intereference. Remember, we are talking about very dilute solutions; concentrations about [itex]\displaystyle 10^{-5}~M[/itex] are required to see a nice spectrum.

A final note: These questions are not stupid, but your prof must have spent some more time to explain (at least, imply) these. Maybe he just wanted you to think and find them by yourself, I don't want to offend him.

Last edited:
OOps, I´m sorry chem_tr, I was writing my post and I didn´t see that you had already posted. I agree with you.

But just a note, it theese cases, maximum absorbances of acid and basic forms can be different (at the same total concentrations). That´s just because "epsilon" coefficients of Lambert-Beer law (I´m sorry, I don´t know how to call it in English) of the two forms are different.

Last edited:
No problem, it is nice to see somebody agrees with me :smile:

Thank you chem_tr and altered-gravity.
Yeah, after you explained it, I realized that he did mention something similar in his notes, I just didn't make the right connections. Now it makes a lot more sense !

thanks

Just an addition to Altered-Gravity's post:

[itex]\displaystyle \epsilon[/itex] is known as molar absorption coefficient.

1. What is the purpose of determining the pKa of p-Chlorophenol in organic chemistry lab?

The pKa value of a compound is a measure of its acidity or basicity, and it is an important parameter in understanding the chemical reactivity and behavior of the compound. In the case of p-Chlorophenol, knowing its pKa is crucial in predicting its behavior in various reactions and in determining the most suitable conditions for carrying out reactions involving this compound.

2. How is the pKa of p-Chlorophenol determined in the lab?

The pKa of p-Chlorophenol can be determined in the lab using a technique known as potentiometric titration. This involves slowly adding a strong base to a solution of p-Chlorophenol until the solution reaches a specific pH, at which point the amount of base added can be used to calculate the pKa value.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the pKa determination for p-Chlorophenol?

The accuracy of the pKa determination for p-Chlorophenol can be affected by various factors such as impurities in the compound, incorrect calibration of the equipment used, and variations in temperature and humidity during the experiment. Therefore, it is important to carefully prepare and handle the compound and ensure proper calibration of equipment to obtain accurate results.

4. How does the pKa of p-Chlorophenol compare to other similar compounds?

The pKa of p-Chlorophenol is approximately 9.1, which is similar to other phenol derivatives. However, it is slightly higher than that of phenol (pKa = 9.95) due to the electron-withdrawing effect of the chlorine atom. It is also lower than the pKa of more acidic compounds such as carboxylic acids (pKa = 3-5) and sulfuric acid (pKa = -3).

5. Can the pKa of p-Chlorophenol be altered by changing the solvent?

Yes, the pKa of p-Chlorophenol can be affected by the solvent used. For example, in a more polar solvent, the pKa may decrease due to the increased stability of the conjugate base, while in a less polar solvent, the pKa may increase. Therefore, it is important to specify the solvent used when reporting the pKa value of p-Chlorophenol.