1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planar curves

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    Recall that every point (x, y) in the plane is described by its radius-
    vector r = xi + yj. A planar curve [gamma] has the following geometric property: at every point on the curve the radius vector and the tangent intersect at a fixed angle [alpha].

1. Derive a first order differential equation dy/dx = f(x, y, [alpha]) describing [gamma]
    Note that the right-hand side should depend on the parameter [alpha].

For part 1, I drew a circle(not sure if it's suppose to be a circle) on the (x, y) plane. Then i drew a radial vector from the origin to any point. i let the radial vector make an angle [phi] with x-axis. extended the tangent all the way to the x axis and let the tangent make an angle theta with the x axis.

then i got

tan [phi]= y/x......(1)

tan [theta]= dy/dx...(2)

so [alpha]= [theta] - [phi]

tan [alpha]= tan ([theta] - [phi]) = (tan [theta] - tan [phi])/(1+tan[theta]*tan[phi])......(3)

dont know how to derive the differential from here.....and not sure about the rest of the problem...please help.....!!!!!

2. Solve the equation from Part 1 for the case when [alpha] = pi/2 assuming that [gamma] passes through (1, 0). For which curve is the radius vector always perpendicular to the tangent?

I think the answer is a circle but not sure how to solve it???/

3. Assume that [alpha] = 3pi/4 and the curve passes through (1, 0). Apply Euler's method with step h = 0.5 to trace out the curve for this case.

is this step function? if so how do i go about solving this???

4. Solve the equation from Part 1 for [alpha]= 3pi/4 with (1, 0) as the initial condition. Superimpose the exact solution from this part with the numerical
    solution from Part 3. Do you know the name of this curve?

I think in order to plot the curve, i have to switch to polar coordinates
    x = r cos [theta]; y = r sin [theta]:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2005 #2
    Answer to Question1: Put theta=arctan(dy/dx) & phi=arctan(y/x) in the formula you've got.
    But why not use polar coordinates? That'd solve all the problems.
    I'm,with great respect,
  4. Mar 4, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sounds to me like you are making this a lot more complicated than necessary.

If the radius vector is r(t) then the tangent vector is r'(t) Since than angle between any two vectors, u, v, is given by cos(θ)= u.v/(|u||v|), the condition that r and r' have constant angle, α, between them is that r'(t).r(t)/(|r||r'|)= cos(α). Since r= <x, y>, r'= <x', y'>, that becomes
    [tex]\frac{xx'+ yy'}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}\sqrt{x'^2+ y'^2}}= cos(\alpha)[/tex]
    [tex]xy'+ yy'= cos(\alpha)\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}\sqrt{x'^2+ y'^2}[/tex]

"Dividing" both sides by x' (It's really using the chain rule.)
    [tex]x+ y\frac{dy}{dx}= cos(\alpha)\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}\sqrt{1+(\frac{dy}{dx})^2}[/tex]

That's your differential equation.

Of course, if [itex]\alpha= \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] the cos(&alpha;)= 0 and your differential equation is just
    [tex] x+ y\frac{dy}{dx}= 0[/tex].
    That's a simple separable differential equation (and, yes, the solution is a circle.)
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  5. Mar 4, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is okay. If you write it out in x and y:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\tan(\alpha + \phi)=\frac{\tan(\alpha)+\tan(\phi)}{1-\tan(\alpha)\tan(\phi)}=\frac{y/x+\tan(\alpha)}{1-\tan(\alpha)y/x}[/tex]

There's your differential equation. But definately switch to polar coordinates.
  6. Mar 5, 2005 #5

I understand how to plug in and get to this point, but how would i seperate the variables in this case? I tried plugging in a lot of different things but keep coming up with an unsolvable differential.

i get tan(a) when i do it and when i plug in pi/2 i get undefined. i'm sure i'm doing somethign wrong but im not sure

7. Mar 6, 2005 #6
    Does anyone know how to convert the above equation in to polar coordinates ^^^^
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?