Proving the Total Energy Density of Planck-Body Law: λ to f Domain Conversion

• Thread starter thatguy14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Planck
In summary, the Planck-Body Law can be used to prove that the total energy density over all wavelengths is given by I_{tot} = aT^{4}, where a is expressed in terms of pi, k, h, and c. To switch to the frequency domain, one can use the substitution λ = c/f and dλ = -c/f^{2} in the equation. It may be easier to change to the frequency domain in this case as it simplifies the integral. However, it is important to carefully consider the given hint and evaluate its validity before blindly applying it.
thatguy14

Homework Statement

Starting from the Planck-Body Law

I[itex]_{λ}[/itex]dλ = [itex]\frac{2\pi c^{2}h}{λ^{5}}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{e^{hc/(λkT)} - 1}[/itex]dλ

where λ is the wavelength, c is the speed of light in a vaccuum, T is the temperature, k is Boltzmann’s constant,
and h is Planck’s constant, prove that the total energy density over all wavelengths is given by

I[itex]_{tot}[/itex] = aT[itex]^{4}[/itex]

and express a in terms of pi,k,h,c

Homework Equations

λ = c/f

The Attempt at a Solution

Our teacher gives us a hint "think about whether it is better to do the integral in the wavelength or frequency domain" - which in this case means he wants us to switch to the frequency domain. I did try a bunch of things but I am just not sure if my first step is correct. To switch to the frequency domain, all I havr to do is plug in

λ = c/f
and
dλ = -c/f[itex]^{2}[/itex]

correct? Or is this first step wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dλ = -c/f2 ... there should be a df in there somewhere.

[tex]\renewcommand{\d}{\;\text{d}}[/tex] [tex]I_\lambda \d\lambda = \frac{2\pi c^2 h}{\lambda^5}\frac{\d \lambda}{e^{hc/\lambda kT}-1}[/tex] ... can you see why it may be easier to change to frequency domain?

Note: when a hint says to "think about" something, you usually get extra marks for showing that you actually thought about it instead of just taking the hint blindly. Sometimes a teacher will hive you a false "think about" in the hint and you are supposed to dismiss it with reasoning. Therefore: check that the hint makes sense.

Last edited:

What is the Planck-body law?

The Planck-body law, also known as the Planck's law or the black body radiation law, is a fundamental law in physics that describes the spectral density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature. It states that the energy density of a black body is directly proportional to the frequency of the radiation and inversely proportional to its wavelength.

What is the total energy density of the Planck-body law?

The total energy density of the Planck-body law is the integrated sum of the energy density across all frequencies, known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law. It states that the total energy density of a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its temperature.

How is the Planck-body law related to the conversion of wavelength to frequency domain?

The Planck-body law is the basis for the conversion of wavelength to frequency domain. It states that the energy density of a black body is directly proportional to its frequency, which is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This relationship allows us to convert between the two domains using the Planck constant and the speed of light.

Why is it important to prove the total energy density of the Planck-body law?

Proving the total energy density of the Planck-body law is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic radiation emitted by black bodies. It also has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

What are the methods used to prove the total energy density of the Planck-body law?

There are several methods used to prove the total energy density of the Planck-body law, including mathematical derivations, experimental measurements, and theoretical calculations. These methods involve using the laws of thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics to derive and validate the relationship between the energy density and frequency of a black body.