1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Planck Black-Body Law

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Starting from the Planck-Body Law

I[itex]_{λ}[/itex]dλ = [itex]\frac{2\pi c^{2}h}{λ^{5}}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{e^{hc/(λkT)} - 1}[/itex]dλ

where λ is the wavelength, c is the speed of light in a vaccuum, T is the temperature, k is Boltzmann’s constant,
    and h is Planck’s constant, prove that the total energy density over all wavelengths is given by

I[itex]_{tot}[/itex] = aT[itex]^{4}[/itex]

and express a in terms of pi,k,h,c
    2. Relevant equations
    λ = c/f

3. The attempt at a solution
    Our teacher gives us a hint "think about whether it is better to do the integral in the wavelength or frequency domain" - which in this case means he wants us to switch to the frequency domain. I did try a bunch of things but I am just not sure if my first step is correct. To switch to the frequency domain, all I havr to do is plug in

λ = c/f
    and
    dλ = -c/f[itex]^{2}[/itex]

correct? Or is this first step wrong

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

dλ = -c/f2 ... there should be a df in there somewhere.

[tex]\renewcommand{\d}{\;\text{d}}[/tex] [tex]I_\lambda \d\lambda = \frac{2\pi c^2 h}{\lambda^5}\frac{\d \lambda}{e^{hc/\lambda kT}-1}[/tex] ... can you see why it may be easier to change to frequency domain?

Note: when a hint says to "think about" something, you usually get extra marks for showing that you actually thought about it instead of just taking the hint blindly. Sometimes a teacher will hive you a false "think about" in the hint and you are supposed to dismiss it with reasoning. Therefore: check that the hint makes sense.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted