Calculating the Planck Constant: A Helpful Guide for Physics Students

In summary, the speaker is asking for help calculating the Planck constant for a physics test using the photoelectric effect. The equation KE_{max} = hf - \phi is mentioned, and it is suggested to relate it to a straight line equation to calculate the value for h. The speaker asks for further assistance and thanks the listener in advance.
DaltonGR
Hello,

First time at this site really good.

So on to the point.How can i calculate the Planck constant so i can compare it with the already known number for it??its for a physics test and i can't find out ...

Thnx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do this with the photoelectric effect. You know the equation [itex]KE_{max} = hf - \phi[/itex], where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the work function of the metal and [itex]KE_{max}[/itex] is the maximum energy of the emitted electrons. You need to relate that equation to that of a straight line, ie. y = mx + c, then you can calculate a value for h.

Because I am not that good can you help me more.It will save me

thnx

What is the Planck Constant?

The Planck Constant, denoted as h, is a fundamental physical constant that represents the relationship between the energy of a particle and its frequency. It is named after German physicist Max Planck, who first introduced it in 1900.

What is the value of the Planck Constant?

The value of the Planck Constant is approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds (J·s). It is a very small number, indicating that energy is quantized at the atomic and subatomic level.

Why is the Planck Constant important?

The Planck Constant is important because it is used in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, cosmology, and black hole physics. It is also a crucial component in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation.

How was the Planck Constant determined?

The Planck Constant was first determined by Max Planck through his studies on blackbody radiation. It was later refined by other scientists, including Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr, through their work on quantum mechanics and the photoelectric effect.

Can the Planck Constant change?

No, the Planck Constant is a constant in physics, meaning its value does not change. It is considered a universal constant that remains the same in all physical systems and conditions.