How Much Rope is Needed for Towing a Plankton Net at a Specific Depth?

In summary, the question is about determining the amount of rope needed to tow a plankton net at a depth of 10m from the surface of the water, given a boat moving at 2.3 mph and a net weighing 8.5lbs. The solution involves considering various forces such as weight, buoyancy, tension, and drag, but for the purpose of estimation, simplifying assumptions such as neglecting turbulence and possibly tension can be made. This problem is relevant in current sampling techniques.
Natedogg

Homework Statement

I have a boat moving at 2.3 mph towing a plankton net in water weighting 8.5lbs. I want the net to be towed at a depth of 10m from the surface. How much rope do I need to let out from the boat?

Homework Equations

basic trig sin=cos=tan

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot find the angle of the rope in the water from the surface of the water.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general the answer will depend on the actual dynamics of the net and water. How many simplifying assumptions are we allowed to make?

The net has some weight so there's a force going down, it might have some buoyancy so there could be a (smaller) force pointing up, there's the tension in the rope pointing towards the boat, and there might be drag forces due to the water (let's not talk about turbulence!) pointing backwards away from the direction of motion. Which, if any, of these are we allowed to neglect?

Thanks for the response. Basically in a perfect world you could use all the parameters to calculate this but for the matter of getting an estimate I think we could neglect the turbulence and maybe tension. I'm am by now means a physics major but this problem is going to be used in current sampling techniques.

1. What is the purpose of plankton sampling?

The purpose of plankton sampling is to collect and study the distribution, abundance, and diversity of plankton organisms in a particular body of water. This information can provide valuable insights into the health of the ecosystem and the impact of environmental factors on plankton populations.

2. What equipment is needed for plankton sampling?

The equipment needed for plankton sampling includes a plankton net, a tow cable, a flow meter, and a sampling bottle or container. Other optional equipment may include a microscope for identification and a GPS unit for recording sample locations.

3. How is plankton sampled?

Plankton is typically sampled by towing a plankton net behind a boat at a specific depth and for a set amount of time. The flow meter is used to measure the volume of water passing through the net, and the sampling bottle is used to collect a representative sample of the plankton organisms.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a sampling location for plankton?

When choosing a sampling location for plankton, factors to consider include water depth, water temperature, salinity, current patterns, and proximity to potential sources of pollution. It is also important to sample in different locations to get a more comprehensive understanding of plankton distribution in the area.

5. How is data from plankton sampling used?

Data from plankton sampling is used to monitor changes in plankton populations over time, identify patterns and trends, and inform management decisions related to water quality and ecosystem health. It can also be used in research to better understand the role of plankton in the food chain and their response to environmental changes.