1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PLEASE Help - interpreting an Atomic Structure question

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It commonly happens that the hyperfine structure in a transition is dominated by the contribution of an s-electron in one of the levels. What property of s-electrons could be responsible for this?

A transition of this kind occurs at 494nm in singly ionised 133Cs between a level from the 5p5 6s config and one from the 5p5 6p config. Five hyperfine structure components are observed with wavenumbers relative to that with the lowest wavenumber as follows: 0.0, 8.1, 19.5, 33.7, 51.3 /m. The experimental uncertainty in the position of each component is of order 0.1 /m. Find the nuclear spin of 133Cs, and the value of J for the level arising from the 5p5 6s config.

2. Relevant equations
    Earlier in the question we derived:

deltaE(F, F-1) * (F-1) = deltaE(F-1, F-2) * F

3. The attempt at a solution
    Basically what I don't understand is what those wavenumbers refer to - are they for transitions or are they ionization energies, and which levels do they correspond to? You can read on to see what I've done so far if you wish:

So I think that J = 1/2 for the 6s config, as there is only one outer electron with l=0, so L=0 and so J=S=1/2.

I assume I>J, and got some allowed values of F. For the 6s config, I get 2 levels, for F=I+1/2 and F=I-1/2. For the 6p config I get J=3/2 or J=1/2, and so 6 levels for the 6p config overall. I think this is right, as even though for 6p, J=3/2 and J=1/2 both have F=+/-1/2 as allowed values, its for different J so the coefficient of the hyperfine energy will be different.

Now I have no idea what the given wavenumbers are.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The wavenumbers are equivalent to 1/λ for a transition from each hyperfine level to the lowest level in the group.

Note that a photon's energy is proportional to 1/λ, so giving the wavenumber (=1/λ) is another way of giving the energy difference of two levels ... so the lowest one is necessarily at 0.0/m, since that one is used as the reference point here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook