PLEASE Help - interpreting an Atomic Structure question

In summary, the hyperfine structure in a transition can be dominated by the contribution of an s-electron in one of the levels due to its property of having a small L value. In the case of a transition in singly ionised 133Cs between a level from the 5p5 6s config and one from the 5p5 6p config, five hyperfine structure components are observed with relative wavenumbers of 0.0, 8.1, 19.5, 33.7, and 51.3 /m. These wavenumbers correspond to the energy differences between each hyperfine level and the lowest level in the group. By using the formula deltaE(F,
joker_900

Homework Statement

It commonly happens that the hyperfine structure in a transition is dominated by the contribution of an s-electron in one of the levels. What property of s-electrons could be responsible for this?

A transition of this kind occurs at 494nm in singly ionised 133Cs between a level from the 5p5 6s config and one from the 5p5 6p config. Five hyperfine structure components are observed with wavenumbers relative to that with the lowest wavenumber as follows: 0.0, 8.1, 19.5, 33.7, 51.3 /m. The experimental uncertainty in the position of each component is of order 0.1 /m. Find the nuclear spin of 133Cs, and the value of J for the level arising from the 5p5 6s config.

Homework Equations

Earlier in the question we derived:

deltaE(F, F-1) * (F-1) = deltaE(F-1, F-2) * F

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically what I don't understand is what those wavenumbers refer to - are they for transitions or are they ionization energies, and which levels do they correspond to? You can read on to see what I've done so far if you wish:

So I think that J = 1/2 for the 6s config, as there is only one outer electron with l=0, so L=0 and so J=S=1/2.

I assume I>J, and got some allowed values of F. For the 6s config, I get 2 levels, for F=I+1/2 and F=I-1/2. For the 6p config I get J=3/2 or J=1/2, and so 6 levels for the 6p config overall. I think this is right, as even though for 6p, J=3/2 and J=1/2 both have F=+/-1/2 as allowed values, its for different J so the coefficient of the hyperfine energy will be different.

Now I have no idea what the given wavenumbers are.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
joker_900 said:
Five hyperfine structure components are observed with wavenumbers relative to that with the lowest wavenumber as follows: 0.0, 8.1, 19.5, 33.7, 51.3 /m.
Basically what I don't understand is what those wavenumbers refer to - are they for transitions or are they ionization energies, and which levels do they correspond to?

The wavenumbers are equivalent to 1/λ for a transition from each hyperfine level to the lowest level in the group.

Note that a photon's energy is proportional to 1/λ, so giving the wavenumber (=1/λ) is another way of giving the energy difference of two levels ... so the lowest one is necessarily at 0.0/m, since that one is used as the reference point here.

What is an atomic structure?

An atomic structure refers to the arrangement and organization of particles within an atom. It includes the nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, and the electron shells, which contain electrons.

How do you interpret an atomic structure question?

To interpret an atomic structure question, you need to understand the basic components of an atom and how they are organized. This includes knowing the number of protons, neutrons, and electrons in the atom and their respective locations within the atom.

What is the significance of atomic structure?

The atomic structure is significant because it determines the chemical and physical properties of an element. It also helps to explain how atoms interact with each other and how they form molecules and compounds.

What does the atomic number represent?

The atomic number represents the number of protons in an atom. It is unique to each element and helps to identify and classify elements on the periodic table.

How can you determine the number of neutrons in an atom?

To determine the number of neutrons in an atom, you can subtract the atomic number (number of protons) from the atomic mass (number of protons + neutrons). The difference is the number of neutrons in the atom.