Please help me identify this equation and the theory

• Thread starter smashbrohamme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of an equation to solve a problem involving an air bubble ascending from a certain depth in a lake. The equation used is P2=P1+hdg, where P2 represents the pressure at the surface, P1 is the initial pressure at the depth, h is the height, d is the density, and g is the gravity. The conversation also mentions the use of another equation, V=((P2V2)/P1), to solve the problem. The concepts being investigated are Pascal's Principle and static fluid pressure. The density of seawater is referenced, as well as the unit atm which represents one standard atmosphere of pressure. The link provided is for further information on these concepts.
smashbrohamme
Ok first off, I got the answer so this should be simple to answer for someone who understands the theory.

Sadly I must admit, the equation I used I have no real information behind it and I simply need to learn how it works and why I need to use it.

First I will give you the problem:
An air bubble has a volume of 1.70 cm3 when it is released by a submarine 115 m below the surface of a lake. What is the volume of the bubble when it reaches the surface? Assume the temperature and the number of air molecules in the bubble remain constant during its ascent

Simply P2=P1+hdg is the equation I started with.
P2=(1.013 x 10^5)+115(1025)(9.8)= 12.56 x 10^5.

First off what is this equation called, It was given to me out of thin air and I am assuming its a simply equilibrium equation of Pressure?

Second the (hdg) H=height D= ? G= Gravity.

Is 1.013 x 10^5 atmoshperic pressure? I thought simply 1 was?

Where did D=1025 come from? I am lost here.

I finished the problem using V=((P2V2)/P1) and I got the right answer. Now i need to understand where the two variables came from. 1.013 x 10^5= 1atm?

D=1025?

Also if you are feeling frisky please identify these equations and give me a brief explanation on why they work please. I am totally lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
The concepts (theories) that you want to investigate are Pascal's Principle and static fluid pressure. Here's a link to some information.

A density of 1025 kg/m3 is typical for seawater.

The unit atm represents one standard atmosphere of pressure. It is equivalent to 101325 Pa.

1. What is the process of identifying an equation and theory?

The process of identifying an equation and theory involves carefully examining the equation and its components, researching existing theories and principles that may be relevant, and considering the context in which the equation was found. It may also involve consulting with other experts in the field.

2. How can I determine the accuracy and validity of an identified equation and theory?

The accuracy and validity of an identified equation and theory can be determined by conducting further research and experiments to test their predictions and assumptions. Peer review and replication of results by other scientists can also help validate the equation and theory.

3. Can an equation and theory change over time?

Yes, equations and theories can change over time as new evidence and advancements in technology and understanding emerge. This is a natural part of the scientific process and allows for the refinement and improvement of knowledge and understanding.

4. What is the significance of identifying an equation and theory?

Identifying an equation and theory can provide a deeper understanding of a phenomenon or process, and can also help in predicting and explaining future observations. It also contributes to the body of scientific knowledge and may have practical applications in various fields.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can assist in identifying an equation and theory?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available to assist in identifying an equation and theory, such as scientific databases, textbooks, and online research resources. Consulting with other scientists and experts in the field can also be helpful in the identification process.