What are the Effects of Opposite-Sex Friendships on Long-Term Relationships?

• Thread starter marieclaire1307
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Survey
In summary, Swinburne University in Melbourne is conducting a study on opposite-sex friendships in long-term relationships and their impact on the relationship. The study is open to individuals who are 50 years old and under and have been in a committed relationship for at least one year. The study aims to gather opinions and experiences through an online survey, which is anonymous and will help in counseling couples and families. The university has confirmed the validity of the study and some individuals have already participated in the survey.
marieclaire1307
SWINBURNE UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY

Perceptions of One’s Own and Partner’s Cross-Sex Friendships

My name is Marie-Claire and I am a fourth year psychology student at Swinburne University in Melbourne. This year I am doing my thesis on opposite-sex friendships in long-term relationships, (in other words a husband’s female friends and a wife’s male friends) and the effects these friendships have on the relationship or vice-versa. My study could involve people who are married or people who are in a de-facto relationship. You do not need to have a friend of the opposite-sex, all I ask is that you are 50 years and under and that your current relationship has been going for at least one year.
The idea of cross-gender friends in relationships seems to be a very popular subject for discussion – everyone I talk to seems to have an opinion on this! Now to help to with my thesis I need to collect and analyse as many opinions from individuals in serious relationships as I can.
If you or your partner can spare me 15 to 30 minutes of your time to answer some questions in an online survey relating to your relationship and your opposite-sex friends, I would really appreciate it. All survey answers are anonymous and so your privacy is assured – no one will be able to trace your answers back to you. If you are interested and feel you can help me, please go to

www.crossgenderfriendships.com[/URL]

We appreciate your taking the time to complete our online survey. The study is very important to us as this may help in counselling couples or families with problems. Again thank you very much in advance for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For anybody thinking about taking this survey: I took the trouble to verify the statements above with Swinburne University. They confirmed the information given in the above post. I myself will take the survey shortly.

I did it, it was a easy one.

Wish I could participate, but (a) I'm over 50, and (b), I'm not in a relationship. :biggrin:

What is the purpose of this survey?

The purpose of this survey is to gather data and information on a specific topic or research question. Your responses will be used to analyze and draw conclusions about the subject at hand.

Who is conducting this survey?

The survey is being conducted by a team of researchers or scientists who are interested in studying a particular topic. They may be from a specific organization or institution, or they may be independent researchers.

How will my responses be used?

Your responses will be used to analyze and draw conclusions about the research topic. Your individual responses will be confidential and will only be used in aggregate with other participants' responses.

Do I have to participate in this survey?

Participation in this survey is voluntary. You are under no obligation to participate, and you may stop at any time. Your decision to participate or not will not have any consequences.

How long will this survey take?

The length of the survey varies depending on the number of questions and the complexity of the topic. On average, it may take 5-10 minutes to complete. Your time and participation are greatly appreciated.