1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please, help me solve this differential equation

1. Oct 27, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    OK, this differential equation was technically created by me, because i need to clear my doubts.
    Y'' + sqrt(X)*Y' + X^3*Y=3sin(x)
    and actually just any initial conditions as long as the solution is something i can understand, let me expand my doubt further.

I've never solved a second order ODE with functions as coefficients, i've always done it with constant coefficients (because those are the ones that describe oscillations), i usually solve with variation of parameters, Y=Yh+Yp where Yh=C1*Y1(x) +C2 Y2(x) calculated with the "D" operator, and then Yp=U1*Y1 + U2*Y2 and U1 and U2 are calculated integrating the division of the respective wronskians.
    The only ways i have to solve these "variable coefficients" equations are via Cauchy-Euler methods (X^m) or Riccati equation knowing one solution.
    I actually had to be told this is solved via variation of parameters, and i have no idea how.

2. Relevant equations
    Y'' +q(x)Y' + p(x) Y = g(x)
    (In fact if you have any other example stored in that clarifies my doubt i'd greatly appreciate it, as long as it fits this equation above)

3. The attempt at a solution
    The differential operator would be D^2 + sqrt(x)*D +X^3=0, but really i don't know how to solve for "D" (to get the general expression for Y1 and Y2) if i also have to solve for X
    Thanks in advance, this might actually be a very basic doubt (it has been in my mind a long while, i know how to solve some PDEs and membrane problems with different boundary conditions but not this)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would look for power series solution to that.

4. Oct 28, 2015 #3
    Oh snap, it seems i just created an equation that can't be solved teh way i want to x.x, thanks for your help, i'll go with my doubt directly to the teacher

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted