Please help me solve this, I cannot get the correct answer Relatively easy

• Thread starter sprinstess
  • Start date
In summary: Now, let's use the values we calculated for the final states (2, 3, 4) to calculate the changes in internal energy (ΔU) and work (W) for each step. (1) ΔU1-2 = (3/2)nRΔT = (3/2)(0.6461)(8.314)(440-300) = 1396.5 J W1-2 = PΔV = 2.20(8-6) = 4.40 L-atm (2) ΔU2-3 = (3/2)nR
sprinstess
A cylinder contains oxygen gas at a pressure of 2.20 atm. The volume is 6.00L, and the temperature is 300K Assume that the oxygen may be treated as an ideal gas. The oxygen is carried through the following processes:
(1) Heated at constant pressure from the initial state (state 1) to state 2, which has 440 K
(2) Cooled at constant volume to 250K (state 3).
(3) Compressed at constant temperature to a volume of 6.00 L (state 4).
(4) Heated at constant volume to 300K, which takes the system back to state 1.

For the life of me I cannot figure this problem out.
I filled out the table, getting 1.) 2.2atm, 6L, 300k, 2.) 2.2atm, 8L, 440K, 3.) 1.375atm, 8L,250k, 4.) 1.833atm, 6L, 250K

I also calculated the number of moles using the PV=nRT with the initial information in the problem and got .5362

From this I followed the sheet that is given on exams and plugged in the correct formulas for constant V,P, and T. And for work for Constant Pressure, I changed the 2.2 atm to Pa (by multiplying 101,325*2.2) and changed the liters to m^3 by dividing them by 1000.

Anyways, for my Q values I got -2005.3677, 2115.726, 320.465, and -556.97775. When I input them in, it says that Q2 is not quite; however I have calculated it multiple times. Also, it says my work is incorrect for Part B, and I have also recalculated them several times and gotten relatively close values.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

I understand your frustration with this problem. It can be challenging to keep track of all the variables and equations involved in thermodynamics calculations. However, let me try to break down the problem and provide some guidance.

First, let's review the ideal gas law: PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This law can be used to calculate any of these variables, as long as we have values for the other variables.

In this problem, we are given the initial state (state 1) of the oxygen gas, which is 2.20 atm, 6.00 L, and 300 K. From this information, we can calculate the number of moles of oxygen gas using the ideal gas law. You correctly calculated this as 0.5362 moles.

Next, we need to keep track of the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature as the oxygen gas goes through the different processes. Let's go through each step one by one.

(1) In this step, the oxygen gas is heated at constant pressure from 300 K to 440 K. This means that the pressure (2.20 atm) and volume (6.00 L) remain constant, while the temperature changes. Using the ideal gas law, we can calculate the final number of moles of oxygen gas at state 2 as 0.6461 moles.

(2) In this step, the oxygen gas is cooled at constant volume from 440 K to 250 K. This means that the volume (6.00 L) remains constant, while the pressure and temperature change. Using the ideal gas law, we can calculate the final pressure at state 3 as 1.375 atm.

(3) In this step, the oxygen gas is compressed at constant temperature (250 K) to a volume of 6.00 L. This means that the temperature remains constant, while the pressure and volume change. Using the ideal gas law, we can calculate the final pressure at state 4 as 1.833 atm.

(4) In this final step, the oxygen gas is heated at constant volume from 250 K back to 300 K. This means that the volume (6.00 L) remains constant, while the pressure and temperature change. Using the ideal gas law,

1. What are some strategies I can use to solve a problem that I'm struggling with?

One strategy is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Another is to try different approaches or methods to see which one works best. You can also ask for help from others or do some research to gain a better understanding of the problem.

2. How can I stay motivated when I'm struggling to find the solution?

It can be helpful to take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also try setting smaller goals for yourself and celebrating each small victory. Remind yourself of why finding a solution is important and focus on the feeling of accomplishment you will have once you solve it.

3. Is there a specific way I should approach problem-solving?

There are many different problem-solving techniques, but some general steps to follow include: defining the problem, gathering information, brainstorming potential solutions, evaluating and selecting the best solution, and implementing and monitoring the solution.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice makes perfect! The more you engage in problem-solving, the better you will become at it. You can also seek out challenging problems to solve, work with others to gain different perspectives, and reflect on your problem-solving process to identify areas for improvement.

5. What should I do if I still can't solve the problem?

If you have tried different strategies and still cannot find a solution, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a colleague or mentor. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or taking a break and coming back to it later. Remember, not every problem has a clear solution and it's important to not get discouraged and keep trying.