How Do You Simplify Complex Algebraic Expressions?

• Thread starter roger12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the problem is to simplify [(x^2 -1)^2 * √(x+1)]/ (x-1)^3/2 without fractional indices. The attempt at a solution involved multiplying the indices by 2 and simplifying, resulting in (x-1) *(x+1)^5. However, the correct answer is (x + 1 )^2 √( x^2 - 1 ). It was necessary to use the square root to un-square the result.
roger12

Homework Statement

Simplify the following, giving the result without fractional indices:

[(x^2 -1)^2 * √(x+1)]/ (x-1)^3/2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are no common bases to add the indices and no common indices to multiply out the bases so I tried this and got it wrong, please show me where though:

[(x-1) (x+1)]^2 * (x+1)^(1/2)] / (x-1)^(3/2)

=[(x-1)^2 * (x+1)^2 * (x+1)^(1/2)] / (x-1)^(3/2)

multiplied the indices by 2 and got rid of the fractions

=[(x-1)^4 * (x+1)^4 * (x+1)] / (x-1)^3

= (x-1) *(x+1)^5

But my textbook says it is :( x + 1 )^2 √( x^2 - 1 )

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
multiplied the indices by 2 and got rid of the fractions

=[(x-1)^4 * (x+1)^4 * (x+1)] / (x-1)^3

= (x-1) *(x+1)^5

You effectively squared the original problem. Now you need to un-square your result.

"Without fractional indices" just mean you need to use the square root:
[tex](x- 1)^{3/2}= \sqrt{(x-1)^3}[/tex]

Thank You, Everyone.

1. What is the problem asking me to solve?

The problem is asking you to solve an algebraic equation or expression to find the value of a variable or set of variables.

2. How do I approach solving an algebra problem?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the variables and their relationships. Next, use algebraic rules and properties to manipulate the equation and isolate the variable you're trying to solve for. Finally, check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. Can you explain the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra follows the acronym PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This is the order in which operations should be performed when solving an algebraic equation or expression.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving algebra problems include not distributing properly, forgetting to apply the order of operations, and incorrectly combining like terms. It's important to carefully check each step and to be organized in your work to avoid making mistakes.

5. What resources are available to help me with algebra problems?

There are many resources available to help with algebra problems, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, online forums and communities, and tutoring services. It's also helpful to practice regularly and to ask for help from a teacher or peer if needed.