Need Assistance with Physics Paper on Shuttle Launching

In summary, the conversation is about a student needing help with a physics paper on the topic of shuttle launching. They are struggling to find useful information on search engines and are looking for ideas or a useful website to gather information from. One person suggests looking at basic principles such as conservation of energy and gravitational interaction, while another suggests using Wikipedia as a starting point for information on rockets and the Space Shuttle.
physicsdummy
Please Help Me!

1. I have a physics paper due tomorrow about how physics relates to shuttle launching and every search engine tells me how about the shuttle mission and nothing else.

2. So does anyone have any ideas that I can work off of?

3. Or does anyone have a useful website that I can gather information from?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the elementary principle that describe the actual launching process ? Conservation of total energy, gravitational interaction ? Take your pick.

marlon

physicsdummy said:
3. Or does anyone have a useful website that I can gather information from?

wikipedia.org is a good place to start for non-controversial basic science stuff. Here's their page on rockets (which the Shuttle is, after all):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket

They might have a separate page on the Space Shuttle as well.

1. What is the purpose of a shuttle launch and how does physics play a role?

The purpose of a shuttle launch is to transport astronauts and cargo into space. Physics plays a crucial role in ensuring a successful launch by providing the necessary knowledge and principles for designing the shuttle, calculating trajectories, and understanding the forces involved.

2. What are the main physics concepts involved in a shuttle launch?

Some of the main physics concepts involved in a shuttle launch are Newton's laws of motion, gravity, momentum, and energy. These concepts are used to determine the thrust and trajectory of the shuttle, as well as the forces acting upon it during the launch.

3. How does the shuttle overcome Earth's gravity during a launch?

The shuttle overcomes Earth's gravity through the use of powerful rockets that generate thrust. This thrust creates an equal and opposite force to the force of gravity, allowing the shuttle to lift off the ground and into space.

4. What are some of the challenges faced when launching a shuttle from Earth's surface?

Some of the challenges faced when launching a shuttle from Earth's surface include the immense amount of energy required to overcome Earth's gravity, the need for precise calculations and timing to achieve the desired trajectory, and the potential for unpredictable weather conditions.

5. How does the physics involved in a shuttle launch differ from other types of spacecraft launches?

The physics involved in a shuttle launch differs from other types of spacecraft launches due to the unique design and capabilities of the shuttle. For example, the use of solid rocket boosters and the ability to return to Earth and land like an airplane require specialized calculations and considerations. Additionally, the size and weight of the shuttle also impact the physics involved in its launch.