1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Please help! Problems on particle-in-a-box models

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    The normalized wave function for a particle in a 1D box in which the potential energy is zero
    between x= 0 and x= L and infinite anywhere else is

normalized wave function = sqrt(2/L)*sin(npix/L)

What is the probability that the particle will be found between x= L/4 and x= L/2 if the particle is in the state characterized by the quantum number n= 1?

Hint given:

indefinite integral of sin^2(ax)dx = .5x - .25asin(2ax)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2012 #2
    What you probably don't know (but should know) is that
    P(particle between a and b)=∫_a^b |ψ(x)|^2 dx
    where ψ is the wavefunction of the particle.

4. Sep 11, 2012 #3
    I am confused as to what I use the second formula for... How do I find the probability of the particle being located in the region bounded by x=l/4 and x=l/2? How do i get an actual value for this since L is being used, and not a real number?

5. Sep 11, 2012 #4
    How about you do the calculation and see what you end up with? There is a possibility that L cancels out...
    Btw.: Which one is the second formula for you?

6. Sep 11, 2012 #5
    indefinite integral of sin^2(ax)dx = .5x - .25asin(2ax)

that is the second formula. and I tried working it out but I couldn't get L to cancel out.. i just got an ugly answer...

7. Sep 11, 2012 #6
    Please write down your entire calculation then I can help you with it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook