Please help settle this dispute

• Thread starter ideasrule
  • Start date
In summary: It is the product v \omega that is constant.In summary, we can see that there is a minimum rotation speed for a conical pendulum, as shown by the equation \omega = \sqrt{\frac{g}{L \, sin(\theta)}}. This means that the angle t must be small in order for the pendulum to maintain a constant angle with the horizontal. This is why conical pendulums are used as accurate timepieces.
ideasrule
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I'm involved in a dispute about conical pendulums, and my friend, for whatever reason, doesn't want to believe me until somebody backs me up. Assume t is the angle that the string makes with the horizontal.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Tsint = mg
Tcost = mw^2*r = mw^2*Lcos(t)
T=mw^2*L, where L is the length of the string

Dividing gives:

sin t = g/(w^2*L)

This implies that if w^2*L is smaller than the acceleration of gravity, a conical pendulum cannot maintain a constant angle t with the horizontal.

P.S. this is actually not a homework question. I'm almost certain my calculations are right, but my friend insists that there's no minimum rotation speed for a conical pendulum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ideas,
I'm not iterested in weighing in one way or another, but the math seems ok by my reckoning--I get tan (x) = g/(w^2*L) but assume that since both approximate to t, you are using that. But if you use that than the angle must be small which implies that sin (t)= tan (t) is small. May be I'm not understanding the last line of the proof.

ideasrule said:

Homework Statement

I'm involved in a dispute about conical pendulums, and my friend, for whatever reason, doesn't want to believe me until somebody backs me up. Assume t is the angle that the string makes with the horizontal.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Tsint = mg
Tcost = mw^2*r = mw^2*Lcos(t)
T=mw^2*L, where L is the length of the string

Dividing gives:

sin t = g/(w^2*L)

This implies that if w^2*L is smaller than the acceleration of gravity, a conical pendulum cannot maintain a constant angle t with the horizontal.

You could also say that w^2 cannot be less than g/L. When the angle with the horizontal is close to 90 degrees (that is, when the bob is moving slowly and hanging close to straight down, you have sin t being close to 1 and the angular velocity w of the pendulum approaches the minimum of
[tex]w = \sqrt{\frac{g}{L}}[/tex]​

This is why pendulums (including conical pendulums) make good time pieces.

Cheers -- sylas

PS. You could also show your friend the wikipedia article on Conical pendulum. It uses the opposite angle convention, measuring the angle from the vertical rather than from the horizontal, but the equation at the end of the article for the period of the pendulum is
[tex]\textrm{period} = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{L \cos \theta}{g}}[/tex]​
which has the same implication; there is a maximum possible period for the conical pendulum.

Last edited:
Here is how I did it:
Given a bob of mass m at the end of a string of length L making an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the horizontal. The mass is traveling in uniform circular motion in the horizontal plane, calculate the frequency of rotation.

Newton's 2nd law in the vertical direction
[tex]T \, sin(\theta) - mg = 0[/tex]

Newton's 2nd law in the horizontal direction
[tex] T \, cos(\theta) = ma [/tex]

Centripetal acceleration
[tex]a = r\omega^2[/tex]

Radius of circle
[tex]r=L \, cos(\theta)[/tex]

So we have four equations which we can solve for [itex]\omega[/itex] eliminating a, T, and r. This gives
[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{g}{L \, sin(\theta)}}[/tex]

So, I agree with your conclusion. To me it was surprising to find that, as the bob hangs almost vertical the frequency does not go to zero. However, I was OK once I realized that the velocity does go to zero.

FAQ: Please help settle this dispute

1. What is the best approach to settle a dispute?

The best approach to settle a dispute is to first listen to both parties involved and try to understand their perspectives. Then, gather all the relevant information and evidence to make an informed decision. It is also important to remain calm and unbiased throughout the process.

2. How can I effectively communicate my side of the argument?

To effectively communicate your side of the argument, it is important to clearly and calmly state your points and provide evidence to support them. It is also important to actively listen to the other party's perspective and try to find common ground.

3. What if both parties are unable to come to a resolution?

If both parties are unable to come to a resolution, it may be helpful to seek the assistance of a neutral third party, such as a mediator or arbitrator. They can help facilitate communication and guide the parties towards a mutually agreeable solution.

4. How can we prevent future disputes from arising?

To prevent future disputes, it is important to establish clear communication and boundaries from the beginning. It may also be helpful to have a written agreement or contract in place to refer to in case of any misunderstandings. Regular check-ins and open communication can also help address any issues before they escalate.

5. Is it important to document the resolution of a dispute?

Yes, it is important to document the resolution of a dispute for future reference. This can serve as a record of the agreed upon solution and can help prevent any misunderstandings or disputes from arising in the future.