. What is the antiderivative of e^arctan(x)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the antiderivative of earctan(x) and how it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. The conversation also mentions the error function and how it does not have an elementary function equivalent. The use of latex for writing mathematical symbols is also mentioned.
silverdiesel
What is the antiderivative of earctan(x)?
I can't seen to find this anywhere, although I suspect the answer would be pretty easy. This is the first problem of the first assignment in Calc 2. It is suposed to be review from Calc 1, but I can't figure it out. :grumpy: :yuck: :cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can turn that into the integral of tan(u) eu, which doesn't have an integral expressible in terms of elementary functions, and so neither does your original function. Now if that was arcsin or arccos in the exponent, it'd be a different story.

Last edited:
StatusX said:
You can turn that into the integral of tan(u) eu, which doesn't have an integral expressible in terms of elementary functions, and so neither does your original function. Now if that was arcsin or arccos in the exponent, it'd be a different story.

You're subvstitution is wrong, it would work if he had xearctan(x) but you set u = arctan(x) which means x = tan(u) but there is no multiplication between x and e in his problem so you can get tan(u) eu, but you could get sec2u eudu.

Right, and then I integrated by parts.

StatusX said:
Right, and then I integrated by parts.

Ah, yeah I see that now sorry about that.

Thanks for your help. I did finally figure out the problem. It was a trick question, and I was not supposed to be able to figure out the antiderivitave. The whole problem was this:

d/dx(S01earctan x)dx

that "S" is supposed to be an integral sign.

I eventually figured.. The integral of earctan x, however you figure it, would be a number, and then the derivative of the number is just zero. I am still curious about the antiderivative... is there nothing that you can take the derivative of, to get earctan x?

Unfortunately, most functions do not have "nice" antiderivatives. The classic example is the error function:

[tex]\mbox{erf}(x) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt[/tex]

If we define elementary functions as exponentials, logs, algebraic functions (like polynomials and root extractions), and finite combinations (sums, products, etc) and compositions thereof (which, extending to complex numbers, allows you to include trigonometric functions and their inverses), then it can be proven there is no elementary function equivalent to the error function, nor to the antiderivative you've given here.

Last edited:
hmm... interesting. I can't wait to learn all this.

one more question:

how do you write all the math symbols into these posts?

very cool, thanks so much StatusX, you have been very helpful.:smile:

1. What is an antiderivative?

An antiderivative, also known as an indefinite integral, is the reverse process of differentiation. It is the original function whose derivative is a given function.

2. What is the difference between an antiderivative and a definite integral?

An antiderivative is a function, while a definite integral is a number. The definite integral represents the area under the curve of a given function, while the antiderivative represents the original function itself.

3. How do you find the antiderivative of a function?

To find the antiderivative of a function, you must use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule to integrate the function term by term. You may also need to use integration by parts or substitution for more complex functions.

4. Why is the antiderivative of e^arctan(x) difficult to find?

The antiderivative of e^arctan(x) is difficult to find because it involves a combination of exponential and trigonometric functions, which do not have simple antiderivatives. This requires the use of more advanced integration techniques.

5. What is the significance of the antiderivative in calculus?

The antiderivative plays a crucial role in calculus as it allows us to solve problems involving rates of change, such as finding the distance traveled by an object given its velocity. It also helps us find the area under a curve and is used in many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.