How to Solve an Integral Using t-Substitution?

• Thread starter noospace
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of substitution to solve the integral \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{\cos^2\alpha}{A + \sin^2\alpha}d\alpha, using the substitution t=\tan\alpha. The conversation also includes the derivation of constants for integration by partial fractions and a plot of the function, showing that the area from x = 0 to x = 2\pi is four times the area from x = 0 to x = \frac{\pi}{2}.
noospace

Homework Statement

[itex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{\cos^2\alpha}{A + \sin^2\alpha}d\alpha[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe when the trig functions all appear squared one may use the substitution [itex] t =\tan \alpha[/itex]. Then

[itex]
t^2 + 1 = \sec^2\alpha \implies \cos^2\alpha = \frac{1}{t^2 +1}
[/itex]
[itex]
\sin^2\alpha = t^2\cos^2\alpha = \frac{t^2}{t^2+1}
[/itex]
[itex]
dt = \sec^2\alpha d\alpha \implies d\alpha = \frac{dt}{1 + t^2}
[/itex]

Now use

[itex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} = \int_0^\pi + \int_\pi^{2\pi} [/itex].

[itex]\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{\cos^2\alpha}{A + \sin^2\alpha}d\alpha = \int_{0}^\infty\frac{dt}{A(1+t^2)^2 +t^2(1+t^2)}[/itex]
[itex]= \int_{0}^\infty\frac{dt}{(1+t^2)(A+t^2+At^2)}[/itex]

[itex]
1 = C_1(A+ (1+A)t^2) + C_2 (1+t^2) \implies C_1 = -1,C_2 = -\frac{1+A}{A}
[\latex]

[itex]I = \int_{0}^\infty \frac{-1}{1+t^2}- \frac{(1+A)/A}{A+(1+A)t^2}[/itex]
[itex]I = - \frac{\pi}{2}- (1+A)/A\int_{0}^\infty\frac{dt}{A+(1+A)t^2}[/itex]
[itex]I = - \frac{\pi}{2}- \frac{(1+A)/A}{\sqrt{1+A}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{A}}\left.\tan^{-1}\frac{t}{\sqrt{A}}\right|_{0}^\inft[/itex]

[itex]I = - \frac{\pi}{2}- \frac{(1+A)/A}{\sqrt{1+A}}\frac{1}{\sqrt{A}}\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm with you up to the point where you derive the constants for the integration by partial fractions. (And I dropped the quotation because there's a hidden character that's really messing everything up here...)

For the [tex]t^{2}[/tex] terms, you have

[tex]C_{1}(1+A) + C_{2} = 0[/tex]

and for the constant terms,

[tex]C_{1}A + C_{2} = 1 [/tex].

So [tex]C_{2} = 1 - AC_{1} [/tex],

giving [tex] C_{1} + AC_{1} + ( 1 - AC_{1} ) = 0 [/tex].

Sure, you get [tex]C_{1} = -1[/tex], but wouldn't that lead to just

[tex] C_{2} = 1 - A(-1) = 1 + A [/tex]?

As another suggestion: upon plotting this function, I find that the area from x = 0 to x = [tex]2\pi[/tex] is four times the area from x = 0 to x = [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex].

Last edited:

1. What is t-substitution?

T-substitution, also known as u-substitution, is a technique used in calculus to simplify the process of integration. It involves substituting a complex expression with a simpler one, typically denoted by "u", in order to make the integral easier to solve.

2. When should I use t-substitution?

T-substitution is most useful when the integrand contains a term that can be rewritten as a derivative of another term in the expression. This usually happens when the integrand contains a polynomial, trigonometric, or exponential function.

3. How do I perform t-substitution?

To perform t-substitution, follow these steps:
1. Identify the term in the integrand that can be rewritten as the derivative of another term.
2. Substitute this term with "u".
3. Rewrite the entire integrand in terms of "u".
4. Replace all instances of the variable in the integrand with "u".
5. Evaluate the integral in terms of "u".
6. Finally, replace "u" with the original term in the integral.

4. What are the benefits of using t-substitution?

Using t-substitution can make the process of solving an integral easier and more straightforward. It also allows for the use of simpler integration techniques, such as integration by parts or partial fractions, when the original integral may have been too complex to solve using these methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using t-substitution?

While t-substitution can be a powerful tool in integration, it may not always be applicable. It works best when the integrand contains a term that can be rewritten as a derivative, which may not always be the case. Additionally, t-substitution may not be the most efficient method in certain cases, and other integration techniques may be more suitable.