How Does Half-Life Affect Remaining Mass of a Radioactive Isotope?

In summary, a new member is seeking help with a half-life question in nuclear physics. The question involves determining the remaining mass of a radioactive isotope after 20 years, given its original mass and half-life of 10 years. The definition of half-life is explained and the member is guided to find the answer by considering the number of half lives and the original mass remaining after each half life. The correct answer is determined to be 3 grams.
dansics

hello..im new to nuclear physics and i have problems attempting helf life questions.. hope you can help me with this question..

The half-life of a given radioactive isotope is 10 years. What is the mass of this isotope remaining undecayed after 20 years if the original mass was 12g? thank you..

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, dansics. Please note that for homework questions, you need to show some work before we can help you, as per forum rules.

What is the definition of half life?

the defination of half-life is the time-taken for half the original unstable radioactive nuclei to decay.

Ok, so the question asks what mass is remaining after 20 years. How many half lives is this? What mass of the original isotope remains after one half life? From this can you say what mass remains after the number of half lives equivalent to 20 years?

emm..so in 10 years, the mass is reduced to 6 g and in 20 years the mass is then reduced to 3g?
Am i right?

Yup, you are correct.

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of the structure and behavior of atomic nuclei. It encompasses the study of nuclear reactions, nuclear energy, and nuclear forces.

2. What is the importance of studying nuclear physics?

Studying nuclear physics helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. It also has practical applications such as nuclear energy, nuclear medicine, and nuclear weapons.

3. What are some key concepts in nuclear physics?

Some key concepts in nuclear physics include nuclear reactions, radioactive decay, nuclear fission and fusion, and the strong and weak nuclear forces that hold atomic nuclei together.

4. How can I solve problems related to nuclear physics in my homework?

To solve problems in nuclear physics, you will need to have a solid understanding of the concepts and equations involved. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the given information, and use the appropriate equations and units to solve the problem.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with my nuclear physics homework?

Yes, there are many online resources such as textbooks, lecture notes, and practice problems that can help you with your nuclear physics homework. Additionally, your teacher or professor may also be available for clarification and guidance.