BJT PNP Switch: Why Vee Must Reach Zero for On

• Thread starter likephysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the base voltage of a BJT PNP switch needs to go to zero to turn it on. However, if Vee is 5V, the base only needs to be at 5-0.7v to make the BE junction forward biased. The reason for starting with a PNP switch is a lack of understanding regarding the lower VCE sat of PNP pass transistors compared to NPN in voltage regulators.
likephysics
In a BJT PNP switch, why does the base voltage need to go to zero to turn it on.
If Vee is 5V, the base has to be 5-0.7v to make the BE fwd biased.

Engineering news on Phys.org
"In a BJT PNP switch, why does the base voltage need to go to zero to turn it on." - It doesn't

"If Vee is 5V, the base has to be 5-0.7v to make the BE fwd biased" - Correct.

uart said:
"In a BJT PNP switch, why does the base voltage need to go to zero to turn it on." - It doesn't

"If Vee is 5V, the base has to be 5-0.7v to make the BE fwd biased" - Correct.

Great. I just simulated it, it works.
Did the same thing last week, damn thing didn't work. That's why I doubted my understanding.

The reason I started with PNP switch is bcoz I don't understand why the VCE sat of PNP pass transistor (in voltage regulator) is much less than NPN Vce sat.

Related to BJT PNP Switch: Why Vee Must Reach Zero for On

1. Why does Vee need to reach zero for an BJT PNP switch to turn on?

Vee, or the voltage at the emitter of a BJT PNP transistor, needs to reach zero in order for the transistor to turn on because this is the point at which the base-emitter junction becomes forward biased. When the base-emitter junction is forward biased, the transistor can conduct current and act as a switch.

2. What happens if Vee does not reach zero in a BJT PNP switch?

If Vee does not reach zero, the base-emitter junction of the BJT PNP transistor will not become forward biased. This means that the transistor will not be able to conduct current and therefore will not turn on. The switch will remain in the off state.

3. How is Vee controlled in a BJT PNP switch?

Vee can be controlled through the use of a voltage source, such as a battery or power supply, connected to the emitter terminal of the transistor. By adjusting the voltage of this source, the Vee can be varied and the transistor can be turned on or off.

4. Is there a specific voltage that Vee must reach in order for the BJT PNP switch to turn on?

Yes, Vee must reach a specific voltage known as the forward bias voltage for the base-emitter junction in order for the BJT PNP switch to turn on. This voltage varies depending on the specific transistor being used and can typically range from 0.6-0.7 volts.

5. Can Vee reach a negative voltage in a BJT PNP switch?

Yes, Vee can reach a negative voltage in a BJT PNP switch. However, in order for the transistor to turn on, the base-emitter junction must still be forward biased. This means that the negative voltage must be applied to the base terminal, while the emitter terminal must be at a lower voltage, typically 0V.