Pocket PC vs Palm: Which Do You Prefer?

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, Kenikov prefers Palm OS based devices over Pocket PCs due to their slimmer design and longer battery life. However, he mentions that Palm OS devices do not offer as much PC functionality since they are not based on Windows. When asked about the Zaurus and Yopy devices, Kenikov expresses a preference for PPCs running Windows. He also mentions the option of putting Linux on an iPod, but is unsure how the Mac community would respond to it.
Dagenais
Just wondering, what device do you prefer?

Pocket PCs, which feature more but are thicker, heavier and drain more battery.

Palm OS based devices offer a lot too, and are slimmer with more battery-life. It does less PC stuff though, since it isn't based on Windows (that can be good though).

I personally, prefer Palm.

How about you?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by kenikov
It does less PC stuff though, since it isn't based on Windows

[?] [?] [?] [?]

kenikov, Have you tried out the Zaurus yet? I think they it is much better than palms and pocket pcs. It also runs Linux.

http://www.myzaurus.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard a lot about the Zaurus, but I'm not a big fan of SHARP electronics.

I would much rather grab a PPC running windows over that.

I do have an iPod actually.

Cool link. I might bring it up at a Mac forum.

They might not look too kindly on it though.

Related to Pocket PC vs Palm: Which Do You Prefer?

1. What are the main differences between Pocket PC and Palm?

Pocket PC and Palm are two different operating systems for handheld devices. The main differences between them include the user interface, hardware compatibility, and software availability. Pocket PC has a more modern and customizable user interface, while Palm has a simpler and more user-friendly interface. Pocket PC devices are compatible with a wider range of hardware and accessories, while Palm devices are limited in this aspect. Pocket PC also has a larger selection of software available, including productivity and gaming applications.

2. Which operating system is more user-friendly?

This is a matter of personal preference. Some users may find Palm's simple and intuitive interface to be more user-friendly, while others may prefer the more customizable options of Pocket PC. It ultimately depends on the individual's needs and preferences.

3. Which operating system has a longer battery life?

Palm devices generally have a longer battery life compared to Pocket PC devices. This is because Palm's operating system is less resource-intensive and its devices often have smaller screens, resulting in less power consumption.

4. Can I transfer my data between a Pocket PC and a Palm device?

Yes, it is possible to transfer data between the two operating systems. However, you may need to use third-party software or convert the data into a compatible format. Some data, such as contacts and calendar events, can be easily transferred using synchronization tools.

5. Which operating system is better for business use?

Pocket PC is generally considered to be better for business use due to its larger selection of productivity applications and better compatibility with Microsoft Office. However, Palm's simplicity and stability make it a popular choice for some business users as well. Ultimately, it depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user.