1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Point Charge Given Field Maps

1. Feb 6, 2015 #1

END

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric field map is shown below. (Take it to be a self-consistent scale drawing at a particular moment in time.)

triple%20charge%20field%20map.jpg
    where [itex]\mathrm{q}_4 = +10 C, \mathrm{q}_6 = +10 C [/itex]

What is the charge of [itex]\mathrm{q}_5[/itex] ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried the following values for [itex]\mathrm{q}_5[/itex]:

$$-5,-10,-15,-20$$

and none of them are correct according to the online homework software. How would I find the charge of [itex]\mathrm{q}_5[/itex]?

Thank you,

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It looks as if halfway q4 and q5 the field is parallel to the axis at small distances x from the axis.
    Write down the three contributions ##\perp## to the axis and make sure they cancel to first order in x.

And I wonder if three seemingly random shots at the answer counts as an attempt at solution :)
    (If you have unlimited tries, step from -10 to -20 in very small steps ! ;) )

4. Feb 6, 2015 #3

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What do you suppose it means that the drawing is "a self-consistent scale drawing"? What will that mean with regard to the field lines?

It's not too often that a physics problem can be solved by a Sesame Street character. "Ten! Ten field lines! Heh! Heh! Heh!"

5. Feb 6, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I love it! Wish I had thought of that ... :D

6. Feb 6, 2015 #5

END

Thank you for your replies!

You were right; each field line represents an equal fraction of the original charge. The answer came out to around $$-7.1 \mathrm{C}$$.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted