Work Done on Proton by +3microC Charge: Find V at 50cm & 35cm

In summary, a proton is moved towards a stationary +3micro coloumb point charge at a constant velocity. The proton starts at a distance of 50 cm and is moved to 35 cm from the point charge. To calculate the work done on the proton, we use the formula W=qV, where q is the charge and V is the change in electric potential energy. Using the equation V=kq/r, with k=9E9, we can calculate V at both distances and find the change in potential energy. Multiplying this by the charge, we get the answer of 3.7E-15. To find the speed of the proton at infinity, we need to first calculate V and then use it to find
kitkat2950
A proton is moved at a constant velocity towards a stationary +3micro coloumb point charge that cannot move. The proton is initially 50 cm away from the point charge and the proton is moved until it is 35 cm away from the point charge.
A) How much work was done on the proton?
B) If released from rest when 35 cm away from the point charge, what will be the speed of the proton at infinity.

For A, I know W=qV where q is the charge and i think v is the change in electric potential energy. And I thought that V=kq/r and k=9E9. I did V=(9E9)(1.6e-19C)/.35m and V=(9E9)(1.6E-19C)/.5m. Then I subtracted to find the change in potential energy. I then multiplied that by the charge, but my answer was wrong. The right answer is 3.7E-15.

For B, I think once I find V, I can figure out the rest.

Physics news on Phys.org
kitkat2950 said:
A proton is moved at a constant velocity towards a stationary +3micro coloumb point charge that cannot move. The proton is initially 50 cm away from the point charge and the proton is moved until it is 35 cm away from the point charge.
A) How much work was done on the proton?
B) If released from rest when 35 cm away from the point charge, what will be the speed of the proton at infinity.

For A, I know W=qV where q is the charge and i think v is the change in electric potential energy. And I thought that V=kq/r and k=9E9. I did V=(9E9)(1.6e-19C)/.35m and V=(9E9)(1.6E-19C)/.5m. Then I subtracted to find the change in potential energy. I then multiplied that by the charge, but my answer was wrong. The right answer is 3.7E-15.

Which quantity did you multiply the change in potential by?

kitkat2950 said:
Well it is a point charge you are dealing with. So V should be relatively easy to calculate.

1. How is work done on a proton determined?

The work done on a proton is determined by multiplying the force acting on the proton by the distance it travels. This can be expressed as W = Fd, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. What is the charge of the proton in this scenario?

The charge of the proton in this scenario is +3 microCoulombs, which can also be written as +3 x 10^-6 Coulombs.

3. How is the potential difference (V) calculated at a given distance?

The potential difference (V) at a given distance is calculated by dividing the work done on the proton by its charge. This can be expressed as V = W/Q, where V is potential difference, W is work, and Q is charge.

4. What is the distance at which the potential difference is being calculated?

The potential difference is being calculated at two distances: 50cm and 35cm. These are the distances at which the work is being done on the proton by the +3 microCoulomb charge.

5. How does the potential difference change as the distance changes?

The potential difference decreases as the distance increases. This is because as the distance increases, the force decreases and therefore less work is done on the proton. This results in a lower potential difference.