1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polar coordinates and integral

1. Nov 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a problem I hope you guys can help me with.
    It's quite simple I think, but there is one thing that I can't figure out.

2. Relevant equations
    I have to use polar coordinates to evaluate this integral:
    See image

3. The attempt at a solution
    I really don't have an attempt, because I can't remember, and it doesn't say so in my book, how I turn the dx limits into polar coordinates (theta).
    The dy limits are:
    x = r*cos(theta)

, where you just insert them at the x and y. But it's the dx limits that annoy me. Do I just leave them as they are (Which sound unlogical to me), or do I change them into angles ? If yes, how ?

Hope you can help.

- Ylle

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2

If you let [tex]x=r*cos(\theta) \ and \ y=r*sin(\theta)[/tex]

then [tex]\frac{dx}{d\theta}=-r*sin(\theta) and \frac{dy}{d\theta}=r*cos(\theta)[/tex]

You can then rearrange these to get [tex]dx=-r*sin(\theta)*d\theta \ and \ dy=r*cos(\theta)*d\theta[/tex]

Your limits on the integals can be found by subbing the x and y values into the new expressions for x and y. Remember that the inside integral is with respect to y and the outside integral is with respect to x. Also r=sqrt(x^2+y^2).
  4. Nov 20, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you draw a graph of this?

You have two circles, both with center (0,0), radius 1 and 2, and the straight line y= x.

the line y= x crosses the circle x+ y2= 1 at [itex]x= 1/\sqrt{2}[/itex] and y= 0 crosses the circle at x= 1. That's the reason for the limits of integration in the first integral. That line y= x crosses the circle x2+ y2= 4 at [itex]x= \sqrt{2}[/itex]. That's where the limits on the second integral come from. The line y= 2 crosses the circle at y= 2 which is where the final limits come from. Look closely at your graph and you should be able to see why it is divided into 3 integrals.

To change the order of integration, look at your graph. What are the least and greatest values of y? The least is, of course, y= 0. The greatest occurs where the line y= x crosses the larger circle which is [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]. Those will be the limits on the outer, dy, integral: y= 0 and [itex]y= \sqrt{2}[/itex]. Now, the limits on the inner, dx, integral for each y will be the left and right hand x-values of the horizontal line at y. You should be able to see that there will be two distinct integrals because the left-hand curve changes where y= x intersects the smaller circle: at [itex]y= 1/\sqrt{2}[/itex].
  5. Nov 21, 2008 #4
    But when I have the limits, do I then just integrate x*y with the limits I found, and then replace x and with x=r*cos(theta) and y=r*sin(theta) for dr dtheta ?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?