Max/Min Polar Curve Values: r = 3 + sin \theta

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the maximum and minimum values of curvature for a polar curve, r = 3 + sin θ. The curvature of the curve was defined as |r' x r''| / |r'|^3 and the use of vectors was mentioned as an approach to the problem. However, the student was not familiar with vectors and asked for another approach. The expert suggested using Mathworld - Curvature and differentiating and setting equal to zero to find the extrema.
trap
any clue?
Determine maximum and minimum values of the curvature at points of the polar curve r = 3 + sin [tex]\theta[/tex] .

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Find the curvature of the curve.
2. Use either intuition or calculus to find the extrema of the curvature.
Which step are you having trouble with ?

so do I derive the curve and let it equal to zero to find the maximum? how about the minimum? also...I don't really get how do you find the curvature of the curve?

trap said:
so do I derive the curve and let it equal to zero to find the maximum? how about the minimum? also...I don't really get how do you find the curvature of the curve?

[tex]\kappa=\frac{\left|\mathbf{r}'\times\mathbf{r}''\right|}{\left|\mathbf{r}'\right|^{3}}[/tex]

here you can say r=<θ, 3+sinθ>

Last edited:
apmcavoy said:
[tex]\kappa=\frac{\left|\mathbf{r}'\times\mathbf{r}''\right|}{\left|\mathbf{r}'\right|^{3}}[/tex]

here you can say r=<θ, 3+sinθ>

Sorry...I don't really get what you just typed, coz I don't think I have learned those in my course. We are currently doing parametric equations and polar coordinates. Is there an other approach to the question?

trap said:
Sorry...I don't really get what you just typed, coz I don't think I have learned those in my course. We are currently doing parametric equations and polar coordinates. Is there an other approach to the question?

What I just typed was the vector form. Do you know about vectors from a previous course? Maybe precalc.?

trap said:
See Mathworld - Curvature. You're probably looking for the extrinsic curvature of a curve in the plane.

apmcavoy said:
What I just typed was the vector form. Do you know about vectors from a previous course? Maybe precalc.?

no...we are not learning vectors

hypermorphism said:
See Mathworld - Curvature. You're probably looking for the extrinsic curvature of a curve in the plane.

yeah, something about the parametric, cartesian, polar equations are what we are learning. But I still don't get how to find the 'maximum' and 'minimum' values of the curvature.

trap said:
yeah, something about the parametric, cartesian, polar equations are what we are learning. But I still don't get how to find the 'maximum' and 'minimum' values of the curvature.

Differentiate and set equal to zero!

1. What is the maximum value of r in the polar curve r = 3 + sin θ?

The maximum value of r in this polar curve is 4, which occurs when θ = π/2 or 3π/2.

2. What is the minimum value of r in the polar curve r = 3 + sin θ?

The minimum value of r in this polar curve is 2, which occurs when θ = 0 or π.

3. Where does the curve intersect with the origin?

The curve intersects with the origin when θ = π/3 or 5π/3, with a value of r = 3.

4. What is the shape of the curve?

The shape of the curve is a cardioid, which is a heart-shaped curve with a single cusp.

5. How does the value of r change as θ increases?

The value of r oscillates between 2 and 4 as θ increases from 0 to 2π. It reaches the maximum value of 4 twice at θ = π/2 and 3π/2, and the minimum value of 2 twice at θ = 0 and π.