Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polarized Light

1. Oct 23, 2004 #1
    I place a 3 foot straight clay pipe, horizontally, pointing North - South.
    At daybreak, when the sun rises in the East, with the aid of a piece of polished metal, I reflect the light from the sun along the internal diameter of the pipe. The far end is closed by bee's wax.
    I assume this reflected light along the pipe is vertically polarized.
    If I repeat this action at midday it would follow that the light along the pipe would be horizontally polarized.
    Now at sunset, with the light coming from the West, the reflected light from my polished piece of metal, along the pipe would again be vertically polarized.
    Now the question is whether there is any discernable difference between the vertical polarized light deflected from due East, and vertical polarized light deflected from due West.
    For example-
    Is one 180 degrees out of phase with the other, or is there anything special about light from the sun at daybreak.

Ian

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

You have a questionable detection scheme. Just use a piece of polaroid and paper.

Claude.

4. Oct 25, 2004 #3
    Personally I would assume that a larger amount of light would be detected in the evening due to the air generally being colder in the morning than in the evening. Such that colder air would mean denser air and more collisons and random deflections than the evening case. Other than that,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?