How to solve for the normal force in pole vaulting using the equation ΣF = ma?

In summary, The conversation discusses finding the force exerted by the ground on a pole held by an athlete during a pole vault. The force in the vertical direction is given as 1500N, and the question asks for the total force exerted by the ground on the pole. Some confusion arises about the use of the term "net" force and how to add vectors in different directions. Ultimately, it is determined that the total force from the ground on the pole is 2200N, using the Pythagorean theorem to combine the vertical and horizontal components.
x2017

Homework Statement

IMG_0053.jpg

Homework Equations

ΣF=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

IMG_0054.jpg

I drew a free body diagram for a), but am unsure where to go from here. Do I have enough information to rearrange the equations above and solve for FN?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are all these different forces? You are making it much more complicated than it is.

haruspex said:
What are all these different forces? You are making it much more complicated than it is.
In the Y direction, Fy1 & Fy2 are the forces on the pole from the athlete's hands, mg is the weight of the pole itself and FN is the force the ground exerts on the pole.

x2017 said:
In the Y direction, Fy1 & Fy2 are the forces on the pole from the athlete's hands, mg is the weight of the pole itself and FN is the force the ground exerts on the pole.
You do not have any information that allows you to treat the pole and vaulter separately, nor are you asked anything that requires you to do so.

haruspex said:
You do not have any information that allows you to treat the pole and vaulter separately, nor are you asked anything that requires you to do so.
Okay, so is it as simple as saying that the force from the ground acting on the pole is equal and opposite to the net vertical force? So -1500N?
Or should it be -1500N + mg of the pole/athlete since the mass of both together was given?

EDIT: I think my first idea is most likely correct if this is the right way to think about the problem since 1500N is the net vertical force

x2017 said:
Okay, so is it as simple as saying that the force from the ground acting on the pole is equal and opposite to the net vertical force? So -1500N?
Or should it be -1500N + mg of the pole/athlete since the mass of both together was given?

EDIT: I think my first idea is most likely correct if this is the right way to think about the problem since 1500N is the net vertical force
The wording is a little strange, but it says the 1500N is the vertical component of the force from the ground acting on the pole. I do not know why it emphasises or even mentions "net".
The question asks you to find the total force acting on the pole from the ground. That will not be equal and opposite to one of its own components.

haruspex said:
The wording is a little strange, but it says the 1500N is the vertical component of the force from the ground acting on the pole. I do not know why it emphasises or even mentions "net".

1500N-mg?

x2017 said:
1500N-mg?
To what question is 1500N-mg an answer?

You are told the vertical force from the ground on the pole. It calls this the net vertical force from the ground on the pole, but net force implies it is the sum of several forces. In what way does the vertical force from the ground on the pole consist of several forces? So I am inclined to ignore the word net there.
Likewise in the horizontal direction.

If the vertical force from A on B is Fv and the horizontal force from A on B is Fh, what is the resultant force of A on B?

haruspex said:
To what question is 1500N-mg an answer?

a)

haruspex said:
what is the resultant force of A on B?

FV + Fh?

So the force from the ground acting on the pole should be 1500N+700N = 2200N?

I am obviously very confused... I thought the ground could only apply force to the pole vertically...

x2017 said:
FV + Fh?
Yes, as vectors.
x2017 said:
So the force from the ground acting on the pole should be 1500N+700N = 2200N?
How do you add vectors in different directions?
x2017 said:
I thought the ground could only apply force to the pole vertically
If the ground could not apply a horizontal force to the pole then the end of the pole would slide under the bar. Not very convenient for the vaulter.

haruspex said:
How do you add vectors in different directions?

Since one is horizontal and one is vertical am I supposed to use pythagorean theorem?

x2017 said:
Since one is horizontal and one is vertical am I supposed to use pythagorean theorem?
Yes.

1. What is the force of gravity on a pole vaulter?

The force of gravity on a pole vaulter is the same as the force of gravity on any object on Earth, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. How do you calculate the force needed for a successful pole vault?

The force needed for a successful pole vault is dependent on a variety of factors, including the speed of the vaulter, the angle of the pole, and the height of the jump. To calculate this force, you would need to use the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the vaulter, and a is the acceleration.

3. How does the pole affect the force during a pole vault?

The pole is a crucial factor in determining the force during a pole vault. The flexibility and stiffness of the pole can greatly affect the amount of force needed for a successful jump. A stiffer pole will require more force to bend, while a more flexible pole will require less force.

4. What is the role of air resistance in pole vaulting?

Air resistance, also known as drag, plays a significant role in pole vaulting. As the vaulter runs with the pole, they create a displacement in the air, which creates drag. This drag force can either help or hinder the vaulter depending on the direction and speed of the wind.

5. How does the vaulter's technique affect the force during a pole vault?

The vaulter's technique is essential in determining the amount of force needed for a successful pole vault. Proper technique, such as a strong and consistent run-up, proper positioning on the pole, and a well-executed take-off, can help the vaulter generate more force and achieve a higher jump.