What are some recommended books on popular science?

In summary, both "A Brief History of Time" and "The Universe In A Nutshell" are great books that provide a lot of information on a variety of subjects. Recommendations for other books to read would be greatly appreciated.
dsmikk
I currently just finished reading the updated and illustrated version of "A Brief History of Time" and am almost finished reading "The Universe In A Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking.

I really enjoyed both of these books and would like recommendations on other books to read.

The only books that I don't really enjoy are the ones that go extremely in depth on certain math equations and such.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I grew up on Isaac Asimov's collections. They were originally science columns written for Analogue SF magazine, but were then anthologized in collections such as "The Left Hand of the Electron", "Only a Trillion", "Of Matters Great and Small", etc., and are written at a level that is quite informative to anyone new to science regardless of age.

Thanks Guys!

May i suggest chaos by james gleick, black holes and time warps by kip thorne, and QED by richard feynman.

ZombieFeynman said:
May i suggest chaos by james gleick, black holes and time warps by kip thorne, and QED by richard feynman.

I have heard great things about QED and from the reviews I've seen it will probably be next on my list

"The First Three Minutes". I can't remember for sure who wrote it (is there a Stephen Weinberg, because that seems familiar?)
"Cosmos" and "Broca's Brain" by Carl Sagan. (And recordings of the "Cosmos" TV series.)

There's an updated and illustrated version of "A Brief History of Time"? Man, it feels like just yesterday I got my copy of that book some 7 years ago. Time sure does fly! You might also check out https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786881879/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I remember getting this book at the same time as Hawking's famous text and boy did it deliver. If this book doesn't make you look up to Michael Faraday as the god of physics, then I don't know what will :)

Danger said:
"The First Three Minutes". I can't remember for sure who wrote it (is there a Stephen Weinberg, because that seems familiar?)

WannabeNewton said:
There's an updated and illustrated version of "A Brief History of Time"? Man, it feels like just yesterday I got my copy of that book some 7 years ago. Time sure does fly! You might also check out https://www.amazon.com/dp/0786881879/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I remember getting this book at the same time as Hawking's famous text and boy did it deliver. If this book doesn't make you look up to Michael Faraday as the god of physics, then I don't know what will :)

Both books added to my list.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Four Laws that Drive the Universe by Peter Atkins
The Origin of Life by Paul Davies

I just remembered Sagan's other great one: "The Dragons of Eden".

Death from the Skies by Phil Plait is one of my personal favourites. Unassuming and a lot of fun.

1. What is a "Pop Sci" book?

A "Pop Sci" book is a popular science book, which is a type of non-fiction literature that aims to present scientific topics in an accessible and engaging way for a general audience. These books often cover a wide range of scientific subjects, from biology and physics to psychology and technology.

2. What makes a good "Pop Sci" book?

A good "Pop Sci" book is one that effectively communicates complex scientific concepts to a non-expert audience. It should be well-written, engaging, and backed by credible sources. The best books in this genre also incorporate storytelling elements and use analogies or real-life examples to make the content more relatable.

3. Are there any specific topics that "Pop Sci" books cover?

"Pop Sci" books can cover a wide range of topics within the realm of science. Some common themes include the history of science, current scientific research and discoveries, the impact of science on society, and the intersection of science with other fields such as art, philosophy, or politics. However, there is no limit to the topics that can be explored in a "Pop Sci" book.

4. Who can benefit from reading "Pop Sci" books?

Anyone with an interest in science can benefit from reading "Pop Sci" books. They are written in a way that is accessible to a general audience, so you do not need to have a scientific background to understand and appreciate the content. These books can also be a great resource for students or professionals looking to expand their knowledge in a particular scientific field.

5. Can you recommend any "Pop Sci" books?

As a scientist, I am always reading and learning about new scientific discoveries and theories. Some of my favorite "Pop Sci" books include "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari, "The Gene: An Intimate History" by Siddhartha Mukherjee, and "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot. However, there are countless other great "Pop Sci" books out there, so I encourage you to explore and find ones that interest you!