Position vector in spherical coordinates.

In summary: Any help would be greatly appreciated.In summary, the position vector of point P in spherical coordinates is (R,\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}), where the last term depends on time.
vwishndaetr
I have not done this in a while and I am having a brain fart.

Given: A wheel of radius R rotates with angular velocity Ct2 k[tex]\hat{}[/tex] (lies in x-y plane, rotating about z). A point P on the circles is P(x,y,z) = (0,R,0)

Ques: What is the position vector of point P in spherical coordinates?

Ans: Now I know that P(x,y,z) -> P(r,[tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex],) = (R, [tex]\pi/2[/tex],[tex]\pi/2[/tex])

I want to say P(r,[tex]\theta[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex],) = R [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] + [tex]\{pi/2}[/tex][tex]\hat{\theta}[/tex] + [tex]\{pi/2}[/tex][tex]\hat{\phi}[/tex], but that tells me P never moves. Considering P is on a spinning disk, it must some how correlate to Ct2 [tex]\hat{k}[/tex]

Maybe I'm just overlooking this. Can some one point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, having coding issues.

any ideas

Last edited:
I cleaned up the presentation a bit, hopefully to make it a bit easier for those that can share some advice.

Given: A wheel of radius R rotates with an angular velocity. The wheel lies in the xy plane, rotating about the z-axis.

[itex]P(x,y,z) = (0,R,0)[/itex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{\omega}= Ct^2\hat{k}[/tex]

Ques: What is the position vector of point P in spherical coordinates?

Ans: Now I know that,

[tex]P(r,\theta,\phi,) = (R,\frac{\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]

But I don't think that helps much.

For the position vector, I can't figure out the term for:

[tex]\hat{\phi}[/tex]

I have:

[tex]\overrightarrow{r}= R\ \hat{r}+\frac{\pi}{2}\ \hat{\theta}+\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \hat{\phi}[/tex]

The last term is giving me issues.

Now I know that [tex]\phi [/tex] changes with time, so the term must depends on [tex]t[/tex].

I also know that [tex]\omega[/tex] is [tex]rad/s[/tex], which can also be interpreted as [tex]\phi/s[/tex].

But I don't think it is legal to just integrate [tex]\omega[/tex] to get position. Is it?

Since the angular velocity is quadratic, that means the disc is accelerating. So the position should be third order correct?

I'm being really stubborn here because I know it is something minute that is keeping me from progressing.

1. What is a position vector in spherical coordinates?

A position vector in spherical coordinates is a mathematical representation of a point in 3-dimensional space, using three coordinates: radius (r), inclination (θ), and azimuth (φ). It is used to describe the location of an object relative to an origin point in a spherical coordinate system.

2. How is a position vector in spherical coordinates different from a position vector in Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, a position vector is represented using three coordinates: x, y, and z. In spherical coordinates, the position vector is represented using three coordinates: r, θ, and φ. This means that the position vector in spherical coordinates takes into account both the distance from the origin and the angles of inclination and azimuth, while the position vector in Cartesian coordinates only considers the distance along the x, y, and z axes.

3. How do you convert a position vector in spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert a position vector in spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), you can use the following formulas:

x = r * sin(θ) * cos(φ)

y = r * sin(θ) * sin(φ)

z = r * cos(θ)

4. What is the importance of using spherical coordinates in scientific calculations?

Spherical coordinates are useful in scientific calculations because they allow for a more intuitive representation of objects and their locations in 3-dimensional space. This can be especially helpful in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering, where spherical objects and systems are commonly studied. Spherical coordinates also have certain symmetries and simplifications that make certain calculations easier to perform.

5. Can a position vector in spherical coordinates be negative?

Yes, a position vector in spherical coordinates can have negative values. The radius (r) can be negative if the point is located in the opposite direction of the origin, and the inclination (θ) and azimuth (φ) can also have negative values depending on the orientation of the point in the coordinate system. It is important to consider the direction and orientation of the vector when interpreting its components in spherical coordinates.