Position, velocity, and acceleration yes or no question

In summary, the ball will always be at a different position and always have a different velocity and acceleration. The magnitude of those vectors will never change.
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

A ball is lodged in a hole in the floor near the outside edge of a merry-go-round that is turning at constant speed. assuming that the position is measured from an origin at the center of the merry-go-round do the magnitudes of the position, velocity, and acceleration vectors change with time?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the answer is yes because at any given time the position will be different and at any given time the velocity and acceleration will be different because they change with direction since they are vectors.

Am i correct about this?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
now i am rethinking this because it says magnitude so is it maybe no because the magnitude of the position will be the same?

mybrohshi5 said:
now i am rethinking this because it says magnitude so is it maybe no because the magnitude of the position will be the same?
Yes, No is correct, now you got it right.

ok thank you :)

just to make sure i am understanding this correctly

would none of the magnitudes change with time because the magnitude of a vector changes with time only if the length changes with time and the length of this never changes correct?

bump^^^^

anyone know if i have the right theory behind this?

would none of the magnitudes change with time because the magnitude of a vector changes with time only if the length changes with time and the length of this never changes correct?

mybrohshi5 said:
bump^^^^

anyone know if i have the right theory behind this?

The position, velocity, and acceleration vectors all change with time, because their direction changes with time. Their magnitudes , however, stay constant; as you noted, the length of the position vector (the distance between the ball and the center of the carousel) does not change with time (it stays the same no matter where the ball is as it rotates along with the carousel). The magnitude of the velocity vector and the magnitude of the acceleration vector also do not change with time...why?

Does the magnitude of velocity vector and the magnitude of the acceleration vector not change with time because the speed of the carousel is constant?

mybrohshi5 said:
Does the magnitude of velocity vector and the magnitude of the acceleration vector not change with time because the speed of the carousel is constant?
That is correct.

Thank you for all the help and great explanations and other non-math related information.

I really appreciate the help

1. What is position?

Position is the location of an object in space at a particular time.

2. How is velocity different from acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity.

3. Can an object have a position but no velocity?

Yes, an object can have a position but no velocity if it is at rest or if its velocity is equal to zero.

4. Is acceleration always constant?

No, acceleration can be constant or changing depending on the forces acting on an object.

5. How do position, velocity, and acceleration relate to each other?

Position, velocity, and acceleration are related by the equations of motion, where acceleration is the derivative of velocity and velocity is the derivative of position.