1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Position vs. Time graph equation

1. May 11, 2010 #1
    I just completed a lab on the acceleration due to gravity and I have to answer a few questions about my data. Before I share what I am confused about I will give a quick run through of the lab procedures:

--First I used a spark timer to mark a strip of paper with a clamp attached to it and let the strip free fall. Then I measured the distance of each mark made from the spark timer with a 2m stick and made a distance vs time graph from the data. I made a best fit polynomial line of degree 2 and found the equation of the fit line that turned out to have the form ___x^2+___x+___, where the ___ is where my coefficients are. I multiplied the x^2 coefficient by 2 to get acceleration.

One of the lab follow up questions asked me why I multiply that coefficient by 2 to get acceleration and I am totally stumped.

Can someone explain why multiplying by 2 gives accel?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2010 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In your polynomial fit, x represents time (independent variable) and position is y (dependent variable). You fitted coefficients a, b and c to the equation

y(t) = at2 + bt + c.

What kinematic equation gives y(t)? Compare the coefficients between what you know to be the case and what you fitted.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook