Understanding the Pattern of Positive Rational Numbers

In summary, the conversation discusses listing positive rational numbers in a clear pattern and ensuring that all numbers are eventually included. The solution involves creating a table with positive integers along the top and side, and using a zig-zag line to represent each rational number. The purpose of this exercise is to demonstrate the countability of the set of positive rational numbers.
abbeyofthelema
I am asked to list the positive rational numbers in one list so that the pattern of the order is clear and so that all the positive rational numbers would eventually appear on the list. Then I have to explain the pattern and why every positive rational number will eventually be on the list.
I would imagine that I would be creating a set of some sort, but I am confused by the question because initially i'd just list positive rational number {1,2,3,4...} but i know something is missing. Does anyone have a clearer understanding of what the question is trying to ask? Thank you so much

Physics news on Phys.org
Every rational number is the ratio of two integers. Do this:
List the positive integers along the top of a table, and then down the side of the table. The number where the n- column intersects the m-row represents the rational number n/m. Now, draw a line that zig-zags through the table. One difficulty is that this will get the same number multiple times: 1/2 will be represented as 2/4, 3/6, 4/8, etc. but at least you WILL get every rational number is a specific list.

(I presume the purpose of this is to show that the set of all positive rational numbers is countable so this is enough.)

perfect

I was just at school and got back and that's exactly what i finally figured out. thank you so much!

What are positive rational numbers?

Positive rational numbers are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers, where the denominator is not equal to zero. For example, 1/2, 3/4, and 5/6 are all positive rational numbers.

How are positive rational numbers different from negative rational numbers?

Positive rational numbers are greater than zero, while negative rational numbers are less than zero. Additionally, positive rational numbers can be written as a ratio of two positive integers, whereas negative rational numbers can be written as a ratio of a positive and a negative integer.

What is the simplest form of a positive rational number?

The simplest form of a positive rational number is when the numerator and denominator have no common factors other than 1. This means that the fraction cannot be simplified any further. For example, 2/3 is in its simplest form because 2 and 3 do not have any common factors other than 1.

Can all positive rational numbers be written as terminating decimals?

No, not all positive rational numbers can be written as terminating decimals. For example, 1/3 cannot be written as a terminating decimal and instead repeats infinitely as 0.333... On the other hand, 1/2 can be written as a terminating decimal as 0.5.

What are some real-life examples of positive rational numbers?

Positive rational numbers can be seen in many real-life situations. For example, when measuring ingredients in a recipe, the amounts are often written in fractions such as 1/4 cup or 3/4 teaspoon. Another example is when calculating discounts, where a 25% discount would be represented as 1/4 of the original price. In finance, interest rates are often expressed as a fraction, such as 3/4%. These are all examples of positive rational numbers in everyday life.