Completing the Square: x^2+2x+5 is Always Positive

• Thread starter Mo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Positive
In summary, the conversation discusses completing the square to show that the expression x^2+2x+5 is always positive for all real values of x. The completed square form is (x+1)^2+4, which is always positive since it is a sum of a positive number and the square of a function with real values of x. The conversation also touches on the discriminant and its relationship to the graph of the expression. Ultimately, it is concluded that the expression will never have a negative value for any real value of x.
Mo
Again , its another case of "dont understand the question" (how the hell am i ever going to get the answer :rofl: )

Anway, on with the question (it seems simple...):

"By completing the square, show that [tex]x^2+2x+5[/tex] is positive for all real values of [tex]x[/tex] "

I have completed the square, my answer:

[tex](x+1)^2+4[/tex]

But i don't know what to do next.(the question is in the section of the "discriminant" (b^2-4ac = or > or < 0) by the way )

I think what I am having a hard time with is "real values of x" .What does hat mean?

I would be gratefull for any help, at all!

Regards,
Mo

Physics news on Phys.org
hai
since your answer is a sum of a positive number (4) and square of a function (x+1) with x belonging to the set of real numbers (all integers,fractions both positive and negative ... or simply
any number which can be plotted on the real axis) that expression will never be negative.
now since this question appears in the discriminant section... we can find b2-4ac of this... which turn out to be negative ...
no real roots ...
implies that the graph y= x^2+2x+5 (which is a parabola facing upwards) never cuts the x-axis .
ie for no value of x the function y has a negative value
...a lengthy proof for a simple problem isn't it ?

regards
Mahesh :smile:

After completing the expression to the square, it's not wise to determine the discriminant, because if you were to calculate the discriminant, there is no point in completing the expression to the square.

The completed square form is (x+1)^2 + 4

If you replace (x+1) by (p), you will get p^2 + 4

so, let y = p^2 + 4....[1]

From [1], you can draw a sketch of the shape of the curve. You will see that the curve is a parabola above the X-Axis. Then you just explain that values of y are always positive for all real values of x

Thank you both.I understand it fully now :)

Regards,
Happy-Mo

1. What are some examples of positive values of X?

Positive values of X can include any number greater than 0. Some common examples include 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and so on.

2. How do positive values of X differ from negative values of X?

Positive values of X are greater than 0, while negative values of X are less than 0. This means that positive values of X are on the right side of the number line, while negative values of X are on the left side.

3. Why are positive values of X important in scientific research?

Positive values of X are important in scientific research because they represent quantities that can be measured, counted, or observed. This allows scientists to make accurate and precise calculations and draw meaningful conclusions from their data.

4. Are there any limitations to using positive values of X?

One limitation of using positive values of X is that they may not accurately represent certain phenomena or variables that can take on negative values, such as temperature or elevation. In these cases, scientists must carefully consider the context and potential impact of using only positive values of X in their research.

5. How can we ensure that our data only includes positive values of X?

One way to ensure that our data only includes positive values of X is to establish clear criteria for what constitutes a positive value in our research. This may involve setting a minimum value or excluding any negative values from our data set. Additionally, using appropriate measurement instruments and techniques can help to eliminate the possibility of recording negative values.