Possible Error in Vector Calculus Book

In summary: So, E is what we control indirectly.Also, the book is probably using Heaviside units, which are rationalized without the epsilonzero and muzero. Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba wrote the book in 1998.
Dahaka14
There is a section that contains dealings with Maxwell's equations in my vector calc book, and there are, to my belief, numerous errors. Some of them I am certain on, but the is one I am not so sure on, although it would be a bigger blunder.

The book describes Maxwell's equations as, having E as electric field and H magnetic field:
[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\cdot[/tex]E=[tex]\rho[/tex]
[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\cdot[/tex]H=0
[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\times[/tex]E+[tex]\partial[/tex]B/[tex]\partial[/tex]t=0
[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\times[/tex]H-[tex]\partial[/tex]D/[tex]\partial[/tex]t=J

Aside from current density J not being bold due to being a vector, from what I know if one wishes to write maxwell's equations without using constants, they must be written:
[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\cdot[/tex]D=[tex]\rho[/tex]
[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\cdot[/tex]B=0
[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\times[/tex]E+[tex]\partial[/tex]B/[tex]\partial[/tex]t=0
[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\times[/tex]H-[tex]\partial[/tex]D/[tex]\partial[/tex]t=J

Second, they defined H as magnetic field, when it is magnetization. Is there something wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you named the book and author thereof.
The book is probably using "Heaviside units", which are rationalized without the
epsilonzero and muzero. You should use \cdot to get the divergence right.
You are right about the D and B in the first two equations.
The names given to B and H vary widely among different books.
Some books call H "magnetic field", others call B "magnetic field".
I prefer the term for B, which is the physical magnetic equivalent of E.
The names used for B are even more varied and confusing.
"Magnetization" is always used for the magnetic moment per unit volume
(to within varying factors of 4 pi). In your units, it would equal M=B-H.
Your book probably just wants to demonstrate the math, and doesn't care much about the physics.

Sorry about the LaTex, it's the first time I've ever used it. I had the /cdot in before, but I must've deleted it while trying to make it look better.
The book is Vector Calculus (5th Edition) by Jerrold E. Marsden and Anthony J. Tromba.
Actually, I just noticed, the dot is there at the upper right corner of the del, but I DID have it look like a divergence before as aforementioned.

Last edited:
In a lab setting, physicists deals with the H field and the E field. This is because we use currents to create a magnetic field, and H is what we control directly. That is, B is dependent on H, but we can always directly control H. However, we use potentials to create an electric field directly.

What is vector calculus?

Vector calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the operations and properties of vectors, which are mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. It involves the study of vector fields, line and surface integrals, and theorems such as Green's theorem, Stokes' theorem, and the divergence theorem.

What is a possible error in a vector calculus book?

A possible error in a vector calculus book could be a mistake in a mathematical equation, a misprint in a vector diagram, or a typo in a definition. It is important to carefully check and review the content of a book before publishing to ensure accuracy.

How can errors in a vector calculus book impact learning?

Errors in a vector calculus book can lead to confusion and misunderstandings for students who are trying to learn the subject. It can also result in incorrect solutions to problems and hinder the development of critical thinking skills.

What steps can be taken to identify and correct errors in a vector calculus book?

To identify and correct errors in a vector calculus book, one can carefully proofread the content, have peers or experts review the material, and compare it to reliable sources. Additionally, seeking feedback from students and addressing any concerns can also help in identifying and correcting errors.

How can students and educators ensure the accuracy of a vector calculus book?

Students and educators can ensure the accuracy of a vector calculus book by critically evaluating the content, double-checking equations and solutions, and seeking clarification from the author or publisher if necessary. It is also important to use multiple sources and references to verify the information presented in the book.