Possible Line Power Conditioner hobby project

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking the opinion of more experienced individuals regarding their project to build a Line Power conditioner. They are interested in maintaining sinusoidal current for about a 10 amp load and are considering using a Raspberry Pi for control. The discussion also touches on different algorithms, such as Active Filters and Instantaneous Power Theory, and the possible challenges of implementing them. Some off-the-shelf equipment is also mentioned as a potential option. The conversation concludes with the recommendation of a single phase shunt active power filter simulation model as a reference for the project.
tim9000
Hi All,

[This thread has been re-started to accommodate modification of the project for the benefit of anyone that isn't a qualified Professional. Specifically the use of a Low Voltage isolated Source.]

I want to get the opinion of people with more experience than me, regarding a project I was thinking about undertaking.

I am wondering if it would be realistically feasible for me to build a Line Power conditioner. Something like this single phase (2 wire) Universal APLC:
upload_2018-1-23_12-8-50.png

However, I'm afraid that controlling the variable speed inverters would be too difficult, I'd like to use something cheap like a raspberry pi if possible. I'm worried that the necessary algorithms wouldn't be publicly available. Or the necessary suitable PT and CT would be too hard to find, or interfacing between control and inverter would be too difficult.

Mostly I'm interested in maintaining sinusoidal current for about a 10 amp somewhat harmonic load.

I'd prefer to find a schematic to roughly go off, because I'm more interested in the experience of building and playing with it, rather than doing base R&D reinventing the wheel writing all this controller code. [Some available literature to go off would be good]

Given the outlined circumstance and the fact that I'd like to spend maybe 20 hours max, working on it (not 100s of hours) would this be a suitable project? Or is this not realistic for something one should build in a DIY manner? I see a lot of possible hurdles which might stop the project from getting off the ground."

Thanks

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-23_12-8-50.png
    upload_2018-1-23_12-8-50.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 565
Engineering news on Phys.org
Windadct said:
Have you researched Active Filters? -- actually a little simpler than your diagram.
I've only done about an hour and a half's research, no. What more simple topologies should I be looking into?

Baarken said:
If you are only interested in maintaining sinusoidal source current, as far as I know, you would only need the Shunt AF. The Series AF is there to compensate for any voltage harmonics, voltage unbalance etc. from the utility.
I would certainly start with only the Shunt AF. Then if successful, move onto incorporating the Series AF.

Baarken said:
There are several algorithms available, the one that seem to be the most popular is the Instantaneous Power Theory. This book: Instantaneous Power Theory and Applications to Power Conditioning by H. Akagi et al. is a good reference in my opinion.
Thank you for the recommendation, if the project goes ahead, this will be an invaluable help.

Baarken said:
Yes, if you want good performance (and depending on which switching algorithm you use) you need a very high switching frequency to obtain good results.

Based on this page:
https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/28319/rpi-use-in-inverter
I assume 20kHz is possible on an Rpi. Would this be high enough for a decent hysteresis control switching frequency?

Baarken said:
The simplest PWM algorithm, in my opinion, would be the Hysteresis Current Control but requires high switching frequency. A more advanced algorithm would be space vector modulation (SVM)

I saw some simulations (I can't remember where), where they used the instantaneous power theory togheter with hysteresis current control. The switching frequency was in the range 30-70 kHz, if this is possible in real life with limited budget I do not know.
I remember learning the theory of SVM, I assume this would be very difficult (for me) to code for.Does anyone know of any off-the-shelf equipment (like inverters etc.) which they would recommend for a project like this?

Thanks!

tim9000 said:
I assume 20kHz is possible on an Rpi. Would this be high enough for a decent hysteresis control switching frequency?
Sorry, but I can't say, I would think the performance might suffer, but worth a try if its a fun DIY-project. If you have access to the ieee xplore library (I dont), this article might provide us the answer: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7042030/

What type of load do you want to compensate for? Single phase, three phase (without neutral) or three phase (with neutral)? If it is three phase (without neutral) I think it should be doable to implement space vector modulation as there are a lot of available references out there. Maybe there is some finished software available aswell.

Do you have MATLAB/Simulink by the way? I found this Simulink file: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/42753-shunt-active-power-filter
You could play around with different switching and sampling frequencies and see how it effect the results?

Baarken said:
Sorry, but I can't say, I would think the performance might suffer, but worth a try if its a fun DIY-project. If you have access to the ieee xplore library (I dont), this article might provide us the answer: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7042030/

What type of load do you want to compensate for? Single phase, three phase (without neutral) or three phase (with neutral)? If it is three phase (without neutral) I think it should be doable to implement space vector modulation as there are a lot of available references out there. Maybe there is some finished software available aswell.

Do you have MATLAB/Simulink by the way? I found this Simulink file: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/42753-shunt-active-power-filter
You could play around with different switching and sampling frequencies and see how it effect the results?
Thanks for your reply.
I don't have access to IEEE at the moment, but I'll see.

It would be for a single phase system, although I'm not sure how much more simple that would make it. Although, does that mean I can get away with just using a H-bridge rather than an inverter?

I do have access to Matlab, thanks for the file, I'll take a look. Do you know of a single phase equivalent strategy (I assume pq theory is just for 3-phase)?

Last edited:
tim9000 said:
Do you know of a single phase equivalent strategy (I assume pq theory is just for 3-phase)?
I found this: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcen...e-power-filter-based-on-three-phase-pq-theory
It is a single phase shunt AF that uses the pq-theory.

I am not familiar with using the pq-theory for singel phase, but looking inside the simulation model the author generate "artificial" voltages and currents for phase b and c and by doing that he is able to calculate the required compensating current.

Baarken said:
I found this: https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcen...e-power-filter-based-on-three-phase-pq-theory
It is a single phase shunt AF that uses the pq-theory.

I am not familiar with using the pq-theory for singel phase, but looking inside the simulation model the author generate "artificial" voltages and currents for phase b and c and by doing that he is able to calculate the required compensating current.

Interesting, looks like I've got a lot of research to do on pq-theory.

Thanks

1. What is a Possible Line Power Conditioner hobby project?

A Possible Line Power Conditioner hobby project is a DIY project that aims to improve the quality of electrical power in a household or commercial setting. It typically involves building a device that can filter out noise and other disturbances from the power line, resulting in cleaner and more stable electricity for electronic devices.

2. How does a Possible Line Power Conditioner work?

A Possible Line Power Conditioner works by using various components such as capacitors, inductors, and resistors to filter out unwanted noise and disturbances from the power line. The device is designed to block high-frequency noise and smooth out voltage fluctuations, resulting in cleaner and more stable power output.

3. What are the benefits of using a Possible Line Power Conditioner?

The main benefit of using a Possible Line Power Conditioner is that it can improve the performance and lifespan of electronic devices. By providing cleaner and more stable power, it can reduce the risk of electrical damage and improve the overall quality of audio and video equipment. It can also help reduce energy consumption and save on electricity bills.

4. Is building a Possible Line Power Conditioner difficult?

Building a Possible Line Power Conditioner can be a challenging project for those who are not familiar with electronics or DIY projects. It requires knowledge of basic circuit design and the ability to solder components onto a circuit board. However, there are many guides and tutorials available online that can make the process easier for beginners.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using a Possible Line Power Conditioner?

As with any electrical project, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind when using a Possible Line Power Conditioner. It is important to follow safety precautions and ensure that the device is properly grounded to avoid any potential hazards. It is also recommended to use high-quality components and to test the device thoroughly before using it with expensive electronic equipment.