Possible Logical Flaw in Sakurai

• Thread starter JohnZinc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sakurai
In summary: In part 2, it is assumed that ##|a' \rangle## and ##|a'' \rangle## are different eigenvectors with different eigenvalues, and it is shown that their inner product must be zero, proving the orthogonality property. While the reality condition was shown for the case of equal eigenvalues, it still holds true for different eigenvalues as well. This subtle nuance may be causing confusion, but the logic is not flawed.
JohnZinc
So I'm trying to work my way through Sakurai's quantum in prep for grad school, and I'm so tied up by one of his steps in a theorem that I can't help but think the logic is flawed. It's theorem 1.1 on page 17 of the second edition. The theorem is as follows: The eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator A are real; the eigenkets of A corrosponding to different eigenvalues are orthogonal. Starting from the following point (as I follow his logic up until here), he progresses exactly as so:

[tex](a' - a''^*)\langle a''|a'\rangle = 0 \hspace{35pt} (1.3.3)[/tex] Now a' and a'' can be taken to be either the same or different. Let us first choose them to be the same; we then deduce the reality condition (the first half of the theorem)[tex]a' = a'^* \hspace{92pt} (1.3.4)[/tex] where we have used the fact that |a'> is not a null ket. Let us now assume a' and a'' to be different. Because of the just-proved reality condition, the difference a' - a''* that appears in (1.3.3) is equal to a' - a'', which cannot vanish, by assumption. The inner product must then vanish: [tex]\langle a''|a'\rangle = 0, (a' \neq a'') \hspace{35pt} (1.3.5)[/tex] which proves the orthogonality property (the second half of the theorem.Now, my problem is this: he chooses the situation where the two eigenvalues are equal, and the fact that the inner product of their respective eigenkets must then be equal to the unity, I assume, to show the reality condition (1.3.4). However, he uses this reality condition (which has ONLY been shown to be true when the eigenvalues are the same) to deduce the orthogonality principle when the two eigenvalues are different. In order to do this, shouldn't one have to prove the reality condition for the case when the two eigenvalues are different (which I'm not sure how to do)? It would seem that he's using case 1 to prove the second part of the theorem which concerns case 2.

I'm sure there's a nuance here that's very subtle, preventing me from getting this.

Physics news on Phys.org
JohnZinc said:
Now, my problem is this: he chooses the situation where the two eigenvalues are equal, and the fact that the inner product of their respective eigenkets must then be equal to the unity, I assume, to show the reality condition (1.3.4). However, he uses this reality condition (which has ONLY been shown to be true when the eigenvalues are the same) to deduce the orthogonality principle when the two eigenvalues are different.

##|a' \rangle## is an arbitrary eigenvector of the Hermitian operator ##A##, so what has been shown in part 1 is that the eigenvalue of any eigenvector is real.

Related to Possible Logical Flaw in Sakurai

1. What is the "Possible Logical Flaw in Sakurai"?

The "Possible Logical Flaw in Sakurai" is a theory proposed by some fans of the Super Smash Bros. video game series. It suggests that the game's creator, Masahiro Sakurai, may have unintentionally included a flaw in the game's mechanics or design that negatively affects gameplay.

2. How did the theory of a possible logical flaw in Sakurai come about?

The theory originated from fan speculation and discussions about certain gameplay elements in Super Smash Bros. that may seem unbalanced or unfair. Some players have pointed out specific examples, such as certain characters being too overpowered or certain moves being too difficult to counter, as potential evidence of a logical flaw in Sakurai's design.

3. Is there any evidence to support the theory of a possible logical flaw in Sakurai?

At this time, there is no concrete evidence to support the theory. It is purely speculation and has not been confirmed by Sakurai or any official sources associated with the game. However, some players continue to analyze and discuss potential flaws in the game's design, keeping the theory alive.

4. Has Sakurai addressed the theory of a possible logical flaw in the game?

No, Sakurai has not addressed this theory directly. However, he has acknowledged and addressed other criticisms and concerns from fans about the game's design and mechanics. It is possible that if there was a significant logical flaw, he would have addressed it by now.

5. How should the theory of a possible logical flaw in Sakurai be viewed?

The theory should be viewed with a critical and open-minded perspective. While it is important to consider the opinions and experiences of players, it is also important to remember that the game's design is a complex and carefully crafted process. It is possible that some gameplay elements may seem unbalanced or flawed, but they may have been intentionally designed that way for a specific purpose or to provide a unique gameplay experience.