Possible Rings with Product of Nonzero Elements Equal to 0?

In summary, the question is asking which of the five given rings allows the product of two nonzero elements to be 0. The correct answer is the third option, the ring of continuous real-valued functions on [0,1]. The other four rings do not allow this possibility. The person asking the question has tried to find online tutorials on rings and is seeking explanations for each of the given options.
helix999
for which of the following rings is it possible for the product of two nonzero elements to be 0?

1. ring of complex numbers
2. ring of integers modulo 11
3. the ring of continuous real-valued functions on [0,1]
4. the ring {a+b(sqrt(2)) : a & b are rational numbers}
5. ring of polynomials in x with real coefficients

Physics news on Phys.org
helix999 said:
for which of the following rings is it possible for the product of two nonzero elements to be 0?

1. ring of complex numbers
2. ring of integers modulo 11
3. the ring of continuous real-valued functions on [0,1]
4. the ring {a+b(sqrt(2)) : a & b are rational numbers}
5. ring of polynomials in x with real coefficients
What have you done on this yourself? Surely you don't want people to just give you the answers!

I have just tried to find out some good online tutorials on Rings. When I think of rings, an empty circle comes to my mind...nothing else. I want to know the explanations of each & every points mentioned above otherwise I wouldn't have written them because I have the correct answer.

it is 3rd one

Related to Possible Rings with Product of Nonzero Elements Equal to 0?

1. What is a ring in abstract algebra?

A ring in abstract algebra is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of elements, along with two operations (usually addition and multiplication) that satisfy certain properties. These properties include closure, associativity, distributivity, and the existence of an identity element.

2. What is the difference between a ring and a field?

A ring and a field are both algebraic structures, but the main difference is that a field has an additional property of multiplicative inverses. This means that every nonzero element in a field has an inverse element, while in a ring, this is not necessarily the case.

3. Can you give an example of a ring?

Yes, the integers (Z) are a common example of a ring. The set of integers is closed under addition and multiplication, and satisfies all the properties of a ring. Another example is the set of n x n matrices with entries from a given field.

4. How is a ring different from a group?

A group is a mathematical structure that only has one operation (usually multiplication) and satisfies the properties of closure, associativity, identity, and inverses. A ring, on the other hand, has two operations (usually addition and multiplication) and satisfies additional properties such as distributivity.

5. What is the importance of rings in abstract algebra?

Rings are important in abstract algebra because they serve as a fundamental building block for more complex structures such as fields, vector spaces, and algebras. Many mathematical concepts and structures can be represented and studied using rings, making them a fundamental tool in mathematics and its applications.