Why is a potential divider necessary in a hot wire anemometer circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a potential divider in a simple hot wire anemometer sensor for A level coursework. The purpose of the potential divider is to hold a certain variable constant during operation, but the exact variable and method are unclear. The original poster is seeking ideas and thoughts on this topic.
Jridley3
Ok
I have some A level coursework to do on "making and testing a sensor"

i have chosen to make a simple hot wire anemometer sensor, which will include a potential divider (for extra marks).
However to get the marks for using the potential divider i have to state why it is neccesary in the first place. My teacher has hinted that it is neccesary for something (but only vaguely in that annoying way that A level teachers have.)

Anybody have any ideas why using a potential divider could be usefull/neccesary in a simple hot wire anemometer circuit?
Because i sure as hell don't!:frown:

Any and all thoughts appreciated!

P.S
sorry if this is posted in the wrong place but this is only my first post, I'm sure i'll get the hang of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jridley3 said:
Anybody have any ideas why using a potential divider could be usefull/neccesary in a simple hot wire anemometer circuit?
What do you intend to hold constant during operation? How will you accomplish that?

This is the correct place for your post. I have to ask, though, what is a hot wire anemometer circuit? How does it work?

What is a potential divider?

A potential divider is a circuit made up of two or more resistors connected in series, with an input voltage source and an output voltage being taken across one of the resistors. It is used to divide the input voltage into smaller parts, creating a desired output voltage.

What is the purpose of potential divider coursework?

The purpose of potential divider coursework is to help students understand the concepts and principles behind potential dividers, and how they can be used in practical applications. It also allows students to gain hands-on experience in constructing and analyzing potential divider circuits.

What are the key components of a potential divider circuit?

The key components of a potential divider circuit are a voltage source, two or more resistors, and a load. The voltage source provides the input voltage, the resistors create the voltage division, and the load is the component across which the output voltage is measured.

How does the ratio of resistors affect the output voltage in a potential divider circuit?

The ratio of resistors in a potential divider circuit determines the proportion of the input voltage that is transmitted to the output. For example, if the resistors have equal values, the output voltage will be half of the input voltage. If one resistor is larger than the other, the output voltage will be closer to the value of the smaller resistor.

What are some real-world applications of potential dividers?

Potential dividers have many practical uses, including as voltage regulators in electronic devices, as sensors in electronic circuits, and in power supplies to provide a stable output voltage. They are also used in audio equipment, such as volume controls, and in measurement instruments, such as potentiometers.