Potential Due to a Collection Charges

In summary, potential is whatever you define it to be and can have a maximum or a constant value depending on the situation.
simo
My text reads for Potential Due to a Collection Charges:

1/(4πє) ∑ q/r

I'm consfused about the distance and how it's treated as a scalar.

Let's say you want to calculated the potential between two protons. If a proton (or electron) is placed in the middle, there will be no net force and therefore no net electric field. With no electric field, you can have no potential, right? If you use the equation above, you get a potential.

Ex)
If the field point was 1 meter away from each proton, you would get the same potential as that of a field point 1 meter away from a particle with charge 2e(+).

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I think I figured it out. See if you can follow my logic.

First of all, the potential is whatever you define it to be because you can add a constant.

For the proton in the middle of two other protons, its potential is the same as a proton the same distance away from a particle of charge 2e+. However, this potential is a maximum for the case that the proton is between two protons and is constant everywhere between. For the latter case, the potential can increase if the field point is moved closer the the 2e+ particle.

I used Gauss's Law to figure this out.

simo said:
With no electric field, you can have no potential, right?

That is not correct. With no electric field you have no potential difference. There can most certainly still be a potential.

If you integrate the negative Electric field dot distance you get the potential difference. To get the potential at a certain point you just integrate from infinity to the point of interest.

Last edited:
Right, initially I thought there was no field because I calculated it to equal zero. Then I realized that the potential is relative and can have whatever value. This material is best understood if you graph the potentials for the two cases.

1. What is potential due to a collection of charges?

Potential due to a collection of charges refers to the amount of electric potential energy associated with a group of charged particles. This potential energy is created by the interactions between the charged particles and can be measured at a specific point in space.

2. How is potential due to a collection of charges calculated?

The potential due to a collection of charges is calculated by summing up the individual potentials of each charged particle in the collection. This can be done using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle to the point where the potential is being measured.

3. Can potential due to a collection of charges be negative?

Yes, potential due to a collection of charges can be negative. This occurs when the charged particles in the collection have opposite charges and are closer together. In this case, the potential energy is negative because the particles are attracted to each other and the potential energy decreases as they move closer together.

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect potential due to a collection of charges?

The distance between charged particles has a direct effect on the potential due to a collection of charges. As the distance between the particles increases, the potential decreases because the interaction between the particles becomes weaker. Similarly, as the distance decreases, the potential increases due to a stronger interaction between the particles.

5. What is the relationship between potential due to a collection of charges and electric field?

The potential due to a collection of charges and electric field are related through the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the potential, and the direction of the electric field is in the direction of the steepest decrease in potential.