Defining Potential Energy at Different Heights of a Block on a Vertical Spring

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a block on a vertical spring and determining the maximum height it reaches after being released. The equation for potential energy, PE = 1/2 kx^2, is mentioned and the person struggles with incorporating mass and gravity into the equation. The concept of conservation of energy is also brought up.
hshphyss
Can anyone help me with this question?

A 0.240 kg block on a vertical spring with a spring constant of 5e3 N/m is pushed downward, compressing the spring 0.080 m. When released, the block leaves the spring and travels upward vertically. How high does it rise above the point of release?

I know that PE= 1/2 kx^2
so I got .5 x 5e3 x .08^2=16 I'm not sure where the mass comes into this equation. I also know that you have to subtract your anser from the point of release so i tried 16-.08 but it didn't work...

Thank-you

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the answer you got (16) a height? What units does it have? What units should it have?

Secondly, if it reaches a maximum height while initially traveling upwards, then something must be pulling it down... what is it? (kinda obvious).

16 joules is the potential energy
where would you incorporate gravity or weight into the equation??

Think of this as a conservation of energy problem. Intially, you have spring potential energy, which ends up being transformed into gravitational potential energy. How do you express gravitational PE as a function of height?

doesn't the block have P.E. as it travels upto to its max height; how would you define the P.E of an object at a certain height?

What is potential elastic energy?

Potential elastic energy is a type of energy that is stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. This energy is related to the elastic properties of the object, such as its elasticity and stiffness.

How is potential elastic energy different from other types of energy?

Potential elastic energy is a form of potential energy, meaning it is energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration. Other types of potential energy include gravitational potential energy and chemical potential energy. In contrast, kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

What are some examples of potential elastic energy?

Some common examples of potential elastic energy include a stretched rubber band, a compressed spring, and a stretched bowstring. Other examples include a trampoline, a diving board, and a bungee cord.

How is potential elastic energy calculated?

The amount of potential elastic energy stored in an object can be calculated using the equation PE = ½kx², where PE is potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium.

What is the significance of potential elastic energy in science and engineering?

Potential elastic energy plays a crucial role in many scientific and engineering fields. It is used to design and analyze structures and machines that utilize elastic materials, such as springs and rubber components. Understanding potential elastic energy is also important in fields such as mechanics, material science, and biomechanics.