Potential Energy Car Downhill Question

In summary, the car has a mass of 1100 kg and runs out of gas at a height of 36 m while traveling at 16 m/s. The driver shifts into neutral and coasts downward without brakes. To find the speed of the car at the bottom of the hill, we use the equation for conservation of mechanical energy, where the initial potential energy is equal to the final kinetic energy. After solving for the final velocity, it is found to be 17.133 m/s. Previous attempts to solve the problem by taking the square root of individual numbers were incorrect.
lando45
I was set this question and have no clue how to solve it...

A 1100 kg car racing up a mountain road runs out of gas at a height of 36 m while traveling at 16 m/s. Cleverly, the driver shifts into neutral and coasts onward. Not having any brakes, at what speed will the car reach the bottom of the hill?

I found mgh of the car as 1100 x 9.81 x 36 and then equated this to 1/2mv2 to try and find velocity and I got 26.5m/s but this is wrong...any help? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
what about the kenetic energy of the car when it is at 36m?

PE of car at 36m = mgh = 1100 x 9.81 x 36 = 388476
PE of car at 0m = mgh = 0

KE of car at 36m = 1/2mv2 = 1/2 x 1100 x v2 = 550v2
KE of car at 0m = 1/2mv2 = 550v2

Now where can I go from here?

what about Energie(s) intial = Energie(s) final

OK here's what I got for initial energies = final energies...(v = at the peak of the mountain and V = at the bottom)

388476 + 550v2 = 0 + 550V2

623.27 + 550v = 550V

1.133 + v = V

V = 1.133 + 16 = 17.133

But this is wrong...

The total mechanical energy of the car is the sum of its kinetic energy and its potential energy, both of which you know for the height of 36 m.

By the time the car reaches the ground, all of its mechanical energy (which is conserved) is kinetic energy - or, in other words, all of its original potential energy has been converted to kinetic energy (in addition to its original kinetic energy).

lando45 said:
OK here's what I got for initial energies = final energies...(v = at the peak of the mountain and V = at the bottom)
388476 + 550v2 = 0 + 550V2
623.27 + 550v = 550V
1.133 + v = V
V = 1.133 + 16 = 17.133

But this is wrong...

What exactly did you do here? It looks like you took square roots of some of the numbers separately, which really isn't allowed. The first equation is correct and you can solve for V simply by diving both sides with 550kg and then taking the square root. You should note however, that all the numbers must be within the same square root, you can't take the root from each one separately.

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or condition. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

2. How is potential energy related to a car going downhill?

When a car is at the top of a hill, it has a higher potential energy because of its position. As the car goes downhill, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a car going downhill?

The potential energy of a car going downhill is affected by its mass, height of the hill, and the force of gravity. A heavier car, a taller hill, or a stronger force of gravity will result in a higher potential energy.

4. How does potential energy impact the speed of a car going downhill?

As the potential energy of the car is converted into kinetic energy, the speed of the car will increase. The higher the potential energy, the faster the car will go downhill.

5. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy, thermal energy, or electrical energy. This conversion happens when the object moves or changes its position.